Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Basically you're right. But i only test it 2-3 min. together in order to see how high temps are rising and to figure out the limits of the machine.

2. zeverus

zeverus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So i understand a lot of you guys ended up returning the laptop. But what laptop are you guys going to buy instead?

The main reason i got this laptop was because i needed a 13-15" light weight and slim portable laptop with a decent battery life to browse web and use MS office.

My minimum requirements were 8 gb ram, 128 gb ssd and intel U cpu would be fine. I never needed a dedicated gpu. I was considering a zenbook 15", ideapad/thinkpad 14"/15", MS surface 13", macbook 13".

But i got a 33% discount on the XPS, and all the other computers in the same price range come with 4-8 gb ram and 128-256 gb ssd and slower cpu's. The XPS i got was with 16 gb ram and 500 gb ssd, and better CPU. The faster cpu and dedicated gpu is just a bonus that wasnt a requirement for my needs.

When power plan is put to silent mode, it lives up to all my needs, and in this regard only weight and thickness are downers for me.

No matter what "best ultrabooks guide" i read, the laptops on the lists are either far more expensive, or far lower specs. Some are thinner and lighter, but aside from that, they mostly seem to suck compared to this machine at the price range.

If anyone knows a laptop that is at least 8 gb ram, 128 gb ssd, slimmer and lighter and long battery life at same price range (compared to a 33% discounted xps), i would appreciate any recommendation.

I think the xps 9570 is a winner when it comes to my basic demands, but any recommendations are appreciated.

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you got a great deal on the 9570 then why not keep it? It is a good system provided you are willing to put in a little work. I only got rid of mine because I wanted to put more money down on a new truck. I ended up going with a cheap 9560 that should work just fine for me.

4. Brimmy

Brimmy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys - can someone please do a Cinebench run or something similar and let me know what speeds you maintain with and without hyper-threading? I'm looking at upgrading from the 9560 to 9570 to speed up compilation which isn't heavily multi-threaded, I need pure core speed. I'm not fussed on what CPU you test on (8300H/8750H/8950HK).

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What does your 9560 maintain? I'm pretty certain under the short load of cinebench I was able to maintain 4.1GHz even with hyperthreading enabled.

6. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Still awaiting my refund, Dell are clinging onto my £'s as long as they can it seems. Going to hold off a bit for now until something new appears that is a worthy upgrade - hopefully something fresh pops up thats a new design as the 95xx models are getting on a bit long in the tooth now and the cooling isn't what it should be IMHO. 2 x M.2 slots, maybe even a 17" FHD IPS screen and a full sized keyboard with a number pad on the right hand side. Basically an up to date refreshed L702X. Not asking for much am I? :p

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    custom90gt likes this.
  7. Brimmy

Brimmy Newbie

Reputations:
    3.4GHz, the turbo-boost on the 7th generation CPUs isn't very good in that if there is light load on many cores it wont turbo the single core very far. If I could get 4.1GHz that's a 20%~ improvement in clock speeds it'll save me a lot of time, I was hoping someone was able to maintain something like 4.5GHz~ on the 8950HK with hyper-threading disabled, repasted and repadded.

8. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you want a 17' laptop, why don't you buy a middle-end gaming laptop?
    There are gaming laptops with i7 8750h and 1060 around $1100 mark.
    It's probably even going to be better cooled because you have more space for the heatsink.

Woodking likes this.
  10. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good point. I did look at the new Dell G7, (Alpine White) but its not available in the Uk sadly for some unknown reason. Even the chap on Dell live chat didn't understand why. The Alienware doesn't do it for me and is too much towards full on gaming and too expensive.

I think it may be time to leave Dell and dip my toes in and test the water in another laptop manufacturer :p

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019