Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. MSIX

MSIX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where is this DIMM/ Ambient Sensor located? I am experiencing high DIMM temps when running Realbench Stress when only testing 4gb of RAM. DIMM in AIDA64 showing 90+ withing min of starting the stress test which either blue screens or I have to shut down.

2. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Slap bang between the DIMM modules. Its the tiny square thing in the middle towards the top.

You can use thermal pads to cover the DIMMS to the case if you are getting high temps, may help.

3. MSIX

MSIX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Never experienced this previously. Not sure why all of a sudden the DIMM temps are skyrocketing. I am back at stock core/cache voltage.

4. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your processor will be kicking out some serious heat being an i9, especially if you've gone back to stock voltage and it hits peak frequency. This XPS has many thermal issues it seems.

You can tune the laptop setting in Dell Power Manager, have you got that installed? Cool disables Turbo but does do a better job at keeping the machine quiet and cooler but you do take a performance hit. Turbo massively passes the processor's TDP and as such this machine cannot cool itself out of the box without being tweaked. Unless you live in the Artic of course.

I really hope future XPS models become a bit 'chunkier' to be able to properly deal with cooling (while staying powerful and innovative), and Dell create a new model of lightweight 'Ultrabook' types that are still pokey but are able to stay cool and quiet. Whats the point of having a really powerful machine if it cant sustain its own cooling?

5. MSIX

MSIX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes I have dell Power manager installed. have always used Ultra Performance and never really experienced dimm temps above 72

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As you note, "Cool" setting disables turbo speeds on my laptop but HWiNFO shows that turbo is still enabled.

If you enable SpeedShift, turbo speeds are accessable even at "Cool" setting (with a low EPP)