Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Eason - 99.4% pass for me. I wonder what the big differences are. My temps never go over 67C though.

2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What's your ambient temp? I guess mine was around 26C. My CPU around 70, my GPU always around 77.

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My ambient is much better than yours, it's 22C in my office.

Eason likes this.
  4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ah okay. I repasted anyway and added a .5 mm pad to one GPU ram pad that didn't look like it was making contact. Went to 97.5%. CB loop test looks MUCH better after padding btw:

Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1228.39 pts
    Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1204.42 pts
    Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1172.13 pts
    Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1161.04 pts
    Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1168.43 pts
    Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1171.44 pts
    Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1169.66 pts
    Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1169.45 pts
    Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1177.27 pts
    Rendering (Multiple CPU) : 1175.99 pts

Vasudev and pressing like this.
  5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait, are you saying the 9550 VRAM issue is back?

Is this due to a warped heatsink not making contact to one chip? Which one?

6. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Custom, maybe I missed it, but do you mind going into a bit more detail on how to pad the ram and heatsink?

Which one you purchased and how/where to apply them? I assume there's a specific thickness.

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just looked at the pads and noted which had impressions and which didn't. added a very thin little bit of padding to the one that had no imprint. I don't know if it makes a big difference.

pressing likes this.
  8. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all, I was out of town last week. I am gonna experiment with my 9750 now.
    I reread this thread and I have few questions/observations for @custom90gt

1) Did you use 2mm pad for RAM and 2mm pad+3.5mm heatsink for VRMs/PCH?
    Do you feel that the pad height is adequate or was it a loose fit?

2) You didn't do any padding to CPU/GPU or heatpipe? It seems that there was some confusion a few post ago by @Eason or maybe I missed something?
    Maybe showing a picture of the backplate would help.

3) Did you do iunlock mod for flow redirection?
    I don't think you did it and maybe this is the reason your mk1 doesn't work. You created more "clutter" without airflow.

4) Which type of black tape did you use on the fans?

5) It doesn't look like the PCH needed any attention. iunlock didn't do it.

6) Vcore/Vcache are not the same thing and they are associated with two different clocks and "separate" CPU parts.

7) Now that you fixed thermals, have you tried increasing the power limits durations using XTU like @pressing suggested?
    That might help push you to stay in the 56w state more often.

9. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried to just use a stack of thermal pads between the mosfets and the backplate (instead of mosfet-heatsink-tpad-backplade like @custom90gt)?

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will try to answer a few of your questions here. Hope they provide some colour

I see several people use 3M Super 33+ (105C) or Kapton tape. I use thee former. Need to be rated 100C+. There should be no stickiness in the airduct or dust will quickly accumulate; I put tape back-to-back where appropriate.

On the 9550 and 9560, unpadded PCH caused noisy fans during menial tasks with PCH temps below say 40C (I forget threshold). So several people did that for silence in the office whilst internet browsing. I did also.

Not sure what you are asking. I think there is some question if the core and cache can be undervolted at different levels for 6th, 7th and 8th gen CPUs (or if core and cache undervolt must be the same on your system). No documentation from Intel. Check to see if Intel XTU will allow that. There is a lot of banter about this on the ThrottleStop Guide.

Haha - I stacked fujipoly 17w/mk pads from the 6 key VRM mosfets to the case bottom both for the 9550 and 9560. The case bottoms got hot as hell. After a short period the keyboards and were uncomfortable to use; even the track pad was uncomfortable. I pulled out all the VRM thermal pads after that.

@GoNz0 noted the hot case bottom would superheat intake air and reduce effectiveness of fans. I think he was correct based on benchmarking and observing temps.

17w/mk pads are probably not indicated here but lower performance pads might be fine. Using the case bottom less aggressively as a heatsink was successful for a few people; it was a balancing act that took some trial and error.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018