Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok so according to Dell Support the 56WHR battery model only comes with the metal caddy bracket, Dell P.N. 3FDY3 (1x 3FDY3 - Metal HDD bracket). Some units may include this part even if a 2.5" drive wasn't ordered from Dell originally.

To add a 2.5" SSD or HDD you will need to order either from Dell directly or Amazon dot com (as they also have them available at the time of writing this)

1x XDYGX - Cable (Motherboard to SSD/HDD)
    2x 3XYT5 - Rubber side isolator (either side of SSD/HDD to fit into caddy bracket & fit snugly).

Screws, well as seasoned laptop/pc tweakers I'm sure you'll all have a few spares kicking about!

30 minutes to get through, finally to someone who knew what I was talking about. They were able to check these parts are totally compatible with the XPS 15 9570 and cost around 30 UK pounds delivered - for parts that in my humble opinion should be included with the machine in the first place - but at least they are on their way and allow me more storage space.

Now if they machine turns up with these in place I'm going to scream! :eek:

Oh and apologies to @custom90gt for placing this in his excellent Benchmarks & Temps thread by mistake!

custom90gt likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Starting to put in new benchmarks after the mods. Does anyone have a video encoding project you'd like me to run? While I can't do a totally stock run I can do a mods vs mods+undervolt comparison.

3. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Realbench score after mods looks pretty darn good if I do say so myself...

Woodking and pressing like this.
  4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was asking about the pads to RAM in response to
    : I put thermal pad over the RAM (cheap 2mm stuff that came with my NVMe heatsink for my desktop) and ran Realbench again (results in the first post). This time in a 15min run the DIMM temps got up to 62C but didn't get to 63C like they did before.

I mean, I understand your position regarding faking the measurement. But if we are pretty certain that the ram temperature causes throttling but is in fact okay while the thottling threshold isn't and we can't change it, I guess padding it to the backplane shouldn't be such a sin. Mind this may not even work if you heat it up the backplate by padding the VRMs to it. You can use a cheapo pad that won't change the temperature that much. Just a few degrees lower out of the throttling zone but so that it can throttle again if the temperature rises further.

I guess the copper plate is important, because it is intended to act as additional fin surface for the redirected air that should be removing VRM heat out via the small central grille. Also if it stretches to the fan areas, they are also pretty cool in the thermal images. And I think in the central part over the VRMs it better be a bit isolated from the backplate, otherwise things may go bad in the long run as with quality pads.

5. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I've done hours and hours of testing and haven't had any issue with sinking the ram/pch/mosfets from the VRM to the backplate.

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hmm, so you've connected the VRM right there as well as the heat spreader over the CPU/GPU to the chassis? and this has improved your performance under sustained load?

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Those are pretty good results overall and a nice bump in performance @custom90gt .

Real balancing act with this chassis. . .

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah, I go from the mosfet to the small heatsink to a low thermal conductivity thermal pad to the bottom of the case. If that blathering makes any sense. After 30 minutes of realbench the laptop feels warm on the bottom where the vrm and ram is connected but by no means is it hot. I only have like 100 different logs if anyone wants more info. I'm doing some encoding tests now just for fun.

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    hmmm so are you saying you bridge the mosfet to the heatsink, then heatsink to bottom of the case? got a pic? :p

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I put up a pic under the iunlock section earlier. Basically it goes mosfet-heatsink-thermal pad-bottom case.

Doing a 1hr realbench stress test as we speak. Then all I have to do is a Heaven bench (forgot to run it) and then put the results table up. I'm shocked about the encoding difference for longer files...