Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    I haven't and won't pad the sensors themselves. The heatsinks for the VRM touch the bottom of the cut copper plate and are not directly attached to the backplate. I am trying the 4th iteration without the plate right now, but don't know if I would be comfortable having aluminum heatsinks only connected by thermaltape...

Those heatsinks are way way way too big for that, besides we need to cool the ram and not the sensor itself. perhaps it is getting incorrect or inflated readings, but I would be worried to take too much heat away and have something happen...

Woodking likes this.
  2. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good point, and I'm sure you will get to the bottom of this issue pretty soon and have a proper fix for it. I've been chasing Dell up for mine as it said ETA yesterday but still no sign of it. Everything ready to go and itching to get it stripped down and rebuilt....

3. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Dang I figured you received it yesterday, that's a bummer. I hate when stuff doesn't come when it says it will...

Woodking likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Like @pressing said, I'd try thermal pads preferably arctic cooling 6W/mK of .5mm or 1.0mm pads sandwiched on top of each other.
    If DIMM means RAM chips then I reduced some 5-10C temps on max load on my PC and the temps can be checked using ePSA test whilst running cpu test in thorough mode.
    @judal57 used thermal pads on over the board and that's reduced like 10C under heavy overclock of his CPU/GPU.

Woodking likes this.
  5. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Posted some info about the iunlock mod. Unsure if I'll keep it or not at this point.

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Looking at individual sensors, the only ones that had really good improvements were the PCH and the first Ambient sensor.

Using some compressed air it looks like the first ambient sensor is here:

Sensor 1.jpg

That would make sense that it would be cooler. Trying another run with just sinking the VRM below and to the left/right of it and then using thermal pad between the heatsink and the bottom cover (a must for me to feel secure taking this laptop with me places). I removed the rest of the heatsinks besides the PCH.

Woodking likes this.
  7. Woodking

Reputations:
    Its going to be here within the next 72hrs is all they can advise today, darn it! Although its not here yet I now have the Tag Code and from Dell Support I can see all the component parts and it looks like it only gets the HDD bracket - no mention of the rubber mounts or cable to the mobo, although it may be there but I do doubt it. Why just send the bracket without the essential parts, doesn't make sense to me!

Part Number
    Quantity
    Description

3FDY3 1 BRACKET, HDD, 7MM, 9550/5510
    5D91C 1 BATTERY, PRIMARY, 56WHR, 3C, LITHIUM, LOGIC
    98MKC 8 SCREW, M2X4, K SCREW HEAD, MICROSOFT, BLACK OXIDE, NYLOK

custom90gt likes this.
  8. Woodking

Reputations:
    Understood, thanks. I'm hoping my replacement RAM chips won't need any additional cooling as they do have heatsink strips on them already, but yet to try them out in anger. I have a pack of the 6W/mK Artic cooling pads ready to go if the machine ever actually gets here! :confused:

9. Woodking

Reputations:
    That would make a lot of sense as the VRM's close to it would surely leak heat to the ambient sensor - making it think it the machine was a lot warmer than it would be otherwise. I'm starting to think Dell test these machines inside a walk in Freezer!

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Alright the results section now includes Mk5 as does the iunlock graph. I think I'm done messing with this laptop for a while, wasted far too much time on it.

I'll see how it runs under general use with the mods. The bottom cover does get warmer than without them, but it's by no means hot. I'll try to run some benchmarks sometime and see if the mods actually got me anything, lol. If anything this system is so much more stable than the way Dell shipped it out...

Oh and a side note, it looks like bios 1.1.4 is back up on the site... Wonder if it's the same thing or if they changed anything.

pressing likes this.