Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    True, it can help to avoid the build-up of heat.

Just wanted to see what was the frequency response of the system. I also wanted to see if there are other sources of throttling. If what you are saying is correct, it means that there's NO VRM throttling, just a throttling due to the DIMM sensor.

Woodking and pressing like this.
  2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mind it is in fact good that the laptop throttles if the heat builds up. Some folks are reporting freezing and restarts under load, as DPTF doesn't seem to be working. Better throttle than just freeze/reset and possibly even fry.

But if you want better, you'll obviously have to take some VRM heat away, it is plain to see from the thermal images. At least pad the VRMs, or do the iunlock mod, or find something that works reasonably well a bit less fussy.

abujafar likes this.
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I sent you the log. Let us know if you see anything I don't.

abujafar likes this.
  4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Well I've wasted the whole day playing with the laptop and doing different versions of iunlock's mod. Sadly it looks like even though most of the average temps are lower than just padding the ram, the system throttled more... I'm actually pretty confused, but I've been running 30 minutes of realbench stress at a time and that seems to be what the numbers point to. I will run the stress tests like I said I would, but I will likely remove the mod. I even went so far as to build a "copper bridge" from the backside of the ram to the back panel, lol..

Woodking, pressing and improwise like this.
  5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think keeping a 62C sensor cool is pretty tough. It is close to room temps so there is little margin for air cooling.

Also you are fighting hot stagnant ambient air in the case and the hot motherboard which heatsinks everything.

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah I get it. Was just hoping it would help a little. Oh well at least XPS users seemingly won't have to go through too much craziness to get their laptops to run decently. I may try some better thermal pad on the ram to see if that helps any. I don't know if I have anything thick enough in fujipoly but I may stack two 1mm pads to see if it works.

I'm also considering going back to liquid metal to see what we can do there.

pressing likes this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed - liquid metal might help here. It will allow the radiators to push out a lot more heat from the system. So running at the same speeds, everything should be significantly cooler. You might still need to cap CPU speeds or knock out a few cores. But you won't know until you try.

I assume you used a bit of hi-temp sealing tape between the ducts and radiators to ensure max airflow goes out the back of the laptop.

If you can prop the back rubber foot up just one cm, that will allow the fans to suck in a lot more air.

All a delicate balancing act. Thanks for the interesting posts @custom90gt

custom90gt likes this.
  8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Undervolted for CB but no performance improvement. Original: 1128. UV: 1115.6

9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you try padding just the ram and vrm sensors (not ram itself) to the backplate, making sure that the extra VRM heatsinks are isolated from the backplate as much as possible?

10. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How about a very small thermal sticky aluminium heat sink placed on top of the DIMM sensor? At least it would wick some of the heat away from the sensor itself. Unsure how much room there is in between the DIMM Modules but if this is what's causing the throttling its worth trying to get it cooler somehow surely?

Something like this if it would fit and be firmly attached

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00637X42A/ref=psdc_2998409011_t3_B00E36SEB4

Failing that Dell should rewrite the system Bios to allow this sensor to get warmer than 62C as that isn't that hot in the big scheme of things.

Vasudev likes this.