Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    And those are your calculated max and averages? I'm having trouble believing that:
    1. you got the system to run near the 90C mark as an average temp
    2. you had a 20C drop after LM and a 20 min prime95 run.

Would love to see some temp logs.

2. custom90gt

Reputations:
    So thanks to @abujafar for making me go back and look at the realbench logs.

Throttling definitely happens when the DIMM temps reach 63C, just like @lugiank noticed with his 9560.

I put thermal pad over the RAM (cheap 2mm stuff that came with my NVMe heatsink for my desktop) and ran Realbench again (results in the first post). This time in a 15min run the DIMM temps got up to 62C but didn't get to 63C like they did before. The results are pretty impressive. Temps are a little higher from the higher clocks but not unbearable, GPU speed did drop a little from the higher temps but could likely be resolved with an undervolt on the 1050ti...

Sadly running a 30min realbench allowed the DIMM temps to creep back up to 63C and caused immediate throttling. The 8GB sticks in my laptop are dual sided and that may be attributing to the heat buildup. The good thing is the throttling didn't happen for the rest of the test like before and it was able to recover after a minute or so (unlike before when the system just kept bouncing off of that 63C mark).

Up next is iunlock's mod, here's to hoping.

abujafar and pressing like this.
  3. satysin

satysin Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone got an i9-8950HK model here that has before and after numbers (idle, cpu load, cpu+gpu load)? I am wondering if I should bother repasting when mine arrives tomorrow.

Also, and not directly related to this thread sorry, but any other issues I should be aware of to check for?

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Sadly no one I know has the i9. My guess is your results would be similar to mine including clock speeds. The repaste for me was worth it even for just a few degrees cooler temps and much more stable max temps. I would say in terms of issues, just use your laptop and see if anything sticks out for you. Plug in headphones, type on the keyboard, check backlight, check the usb ports, etc..

satysin likes this.
  5. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting find that the RAM temperature is causing throttling, my 16GB turned up (ordered specifically for the 9570) and they have metal heat sinks either side, looking like finned aluminium strips.

The same as these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballistix-...1&keywords=Ballistix+Sport+LT+BLS2C8G4S26BFSD

Hopefully this may help with the temperatures. If not how about padding the dimm sensor up to these heat sinks somehow, maybe padding right across the 2 modules in one go?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    You'll have to run realbench and see what your dimm temps are getting up to. I'm not a big fan of sinking the sensor, we will see what happens with iunlock's mod.

Woodking likes this.
  7. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Will do, just waiting for the darn thing to be delivered :)

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the mod and hoping it works well.

custom90gt likes this.
  8. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @custom90gt your findings are very interesting! If Indeed the DIMM sensor is the only problem for the 9570, is iunlock mod even necessary?
    We should just focus on cooling ram RAM (or fooling the ram sensor)!

If you have HWInfo64 logs, please share them.

Woodking likes this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Eason.

Three things that might help:

1. Make sure you are ADMIN in Windows PowerShell (or cmd)

2. Rather than use the GUID Alias (SUB_PROCESSOR ), you might need to use the Subgroup GUID (54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00). For example, to just show "Processor energy performance preference policy", use the first line rather than the second line below:

powercfg –attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863 -ATTRIB_HIDE

powercfg –attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863 -ATTRIB_HIDE

You can print out your power configuration GUIDs to confirm if you like but I haven't seen that these have changed recently.

3. Sometimes copying code from a browser adds some strange characters or spaces. Sometimes pasting the code into a notepad then into PowerShell (minding the spaces) can resolve that.

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    So iunlocks mod may take some of the heat away from the motherboard itself and help with the temps, we shall see. What are you looking for in the logs? I can send you my last run for 30 minutes and the ram padded if you'd like? I literally have 61 logs of temps with hwinfo...