Dell XPS 15 9570 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Jun 7, 2018.

1. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where exactly are those settings for EPP? I’ve been doing it through throttlestop.

Also, I never considered whether power manager affects clock speed as well. I thought it was merely a fan management tool, which indirectly affects clock speed. But, I would think the optimized (or optimal?) setting would essentially be smart enough to turn into the ultra mode during an intensive task.

Has anyone tested this in a benchmark?

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since you are running Windows 1709

Windows Control Panel>Power Options>change plan settings (for your selected power plan) >change advanced power settings

Look in "processor power management" > "Processor energy performance preference policy" (dropdowns will be either 0-100% or 0-255)

If they don't show up, you can reference this post to enable the dropdowns, which I clipped from the speedshift thread referenced above

[EDITING]
    1. Make sure you are ADMIN in Windows PowerShell (or cmd)

2. Rather than use the GUID Alias (SUB_PROCESSOR ), you might need to use the Subgroup GUID (54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00). For example, to just show "Processor energy performance preference policy", use the first line rather than the second line below:

powercfg –attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863 -ATTRIB_HIDE

powercfg –attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 36687f9e-e3a5-4dbf-b1dc-15eb381c6863 -ATTRIB_HIDE

You can print out your power configuration GUIDs to confirm if you like but I haven't seen that these have changed recently.

3. Sometimes copying code from a browser adds some strange characters or spaces. Sometimes pasting the code into a notepad then into PowerShell (minding the spaces) can resolve that. [END EDITING]

If you open the Dell Command I Power Manager, the four settings state that they will adjust fans and performance. I can't read what registers Dell is changing; I can hear changes in fan behaviour and Quiet is indeed Quieter.

No idea.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah, got it. I am running the new windows update, so that is why I don't see it (I think). Throttlestop seems to be doing a good job with it.

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well if location or procedure has changed with new windows update, please post that on the SpeedShift thread.

5. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm very impressed with the CPU actually. CB loop score is nearly double that of the i7-7700HQ 9560 (1128 vs 680). CPU is pulling 60W consistently throughout the test.

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    entering those commands gives me an invalid parameter error.

pressing likes this.
  7. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) Finally Eason's post was the hint. Switching in Bios to S3 Sleep brings back the old energy options.

2) Temps: I repasted both the cpu and gpu with Grizzly liquid metal. I only tested with prime; all cores@2.700 MHZ, now 70-72°C, before repasting 90 -97°C.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    custom90gt likes this.
  8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    How long did you test prime for? I found that my initial temps were much lower but as the heatsink became saturated with heat the average was ~6C lower. Also mine stock wouldn't average near 90C due to power throttling.

9. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not long, about 20 min.
    Next days I'm gonna post some pics. Dell did a really poor pastejob (as Apple too).

10. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you notice an increase in clock speed or did the test ran at 2.700 MHZ before and after the liquid metal repaste?