Dell XPS 15 9550 Throttling FIX, potentially 9560 (Overwatch Scenario)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by miXwui, Apr 17, 2017.

1. mhtritter

mhtritter Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got the fix, I'm pretty sure. And, crazy, but after doing all I could to disable the thermal management, new paste, ThrottleStop, undervolting, etc., etc., the answer that I found, ironically, was rather than try to destroy the Intel Throttle Management, was to embrace it.

I did a clean install for 1803, upgrading from home to pro, but failed to put in the Thermal Drivers or the Chip set.
    For XPS 9550 - Windows 10 64 Bit
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=NWWR5
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=H5FY9

I've been running my game, full screen and full fps, ZERO throttling.

I've only run about 10 games (A8, love that sh*t); which would have gagged by now. If it eventually gags, I'll edit and update. But this is the best performance I've seen since 1803.

Tony96 likes this.
  2. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe you have no throttling because you don't have thermal checks anymore? Is it really a solution?

3. mhtritter

mhtritter Newbie

Reputations:
    Holy cow, I'm thrilled to report it's really a solution. It's not that I don't have thermal checks, it's that they are working properly now. Actually it was a tech guy who suggested this solution to me, and he predicted that it was probably the lack of proper drivers because without them it will default to the most protective and extreme measures it can, but with proper drivers it will moderate its management more reasonably.

I played last night and here's the results:

Before installing the Thermal Drivers and Chipset (which I provide the links for), I was running A8 about 1/2 screen, on 'Medium' graphics, having upped the priority to 'RealTime' in TaskManager, and closing out every single other available background resource that allowed itself to be closed. I had ThrottleStop undervolting me. I'd turned off Turbo. After about 5 to 10 minutes (if lucky!) I would be throttled to 800Mhz performance, basically 1/4 of what I can get without throttle, and making games unplayable.

I updated those two drivers, rebooted and played for 1 hour, full screen (3840x2160), 'Extreme' graphics setting, without undervolting (I turned off ThrottleStop), didn't up my priority, didn't close background tasks, and EVEN HAD Pandora running on Chrome to I could play to tunes! For a friggin' hour and it never throttled me! Smooth as butter play with movie-like FPS. I'm back to 100% stellar gameplay.

I hope this works as well for all of you as it did for me, because I am out-of-my-mind stoked! And, sincerely glad I never got the Dynamic Thermal Control to completely uninstall, because if I had I'd be getting the same result but risking my laptop for no good reason.

Good luck.

Tony96 likes this.
  4. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am confused. I thought obtained an improvement by NOT installing intel DPFM.
    Anyway, good for you.

5. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    <snip - found answer in thread>

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @mhtritter - my apologies but I don't understand what fix you are proposing here to resolve 9550 throttling. Could you summarize the fix again?

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I think his summary is that he installed the drivers in the links provided and now doesn't have any throttling. I'm not too sure though since it was a little jumbled.

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh. I have been running those for a while and don't notice any difference in performance. . .

9. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Clean install of windows + latest dell drivers == less throttling!

10. Tony96

Tony96 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for my English. I have been testing mhtritter's method and it works! So I am a happy owner of a Dell XPS 9550 4k, i5-6300HQ 2.3GHZ (3.2GHZ max) for 5 months now. I have done the repasting and undervolting (-155mv, throttlestop). I only do some light video editing and some light gaming (like the Witcher 3, GTA V, etc.).

But mostly I use it to watch 2k and 4k videos. The laptop handles 2k and 4k 30 fps with ease. However, when I play 4k 60fps and 2k 60fps videos, the CPU throttled so hard I could barely watch it without stuttering, lagging and audio does not sync with the video. The temp was barely 50C, the core came from 3195MHZ (before opening the video) to 2100MHZ (first minute) to 798 MHZ (second minute)! And the temp was still barely 50C! I lift the laptop 5cm above the surface for better ventilation, Throttlestop was on, Ultra performance in Dell Power Manager and High performance in Battery Option. The problem was definitely not from temperature.

So I have downloaded the two things from mhtritter's post and tested it again. The result was awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After >1 hour:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure if Aida64 is too weak compared with Prime95, Realbench or the like or I need to test it longer. But I test the 4k 60fps video again and it was so smooth. Still, bench testing it right now (2 hours) and still no throttling as I'm writing. So the question will be the what do the two aforementioned software do to the system?

Woodking likes this.