Dell XPS 15 9550 Throttling FIX, potentially 9560 (Overwatch Scenario)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by miXwui, Apr 17, 2017.

1. miXwui

miXwui Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good point, I'm confident in my repaste and my temps remain well. For a $2000 machine at these specs, I'd expect to be able to play Overwatch at 1080p on all low settings, borderless fullscreen. It was unplayable when it throttled, so I'll take these risks anyhow. I doubt any frying would happen as there should be built-in safeties at the physical level (i.e. I actually accidentally left my XPS charger under a blanket and it got extremely hot and shut off :x -- I let it cool off and it worked)

Side note, my friend's Dell Inspiron 15 with 960M has zero throttling issues (either due to better cooling or different DPTF or drivers/bios who knows) but has the same specs at $800.
    This model:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-2512BLK-Generation-GeForce/dp/B015PYZ0J6

I'll add a warning to the original post though!

2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hey, Dell wouldn't be able to prove you did anything to damage it...

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some of the NBR experts here have disassembled several 9550 and 9560 units noting in virtually all cases terrible factory thermal paste jobs. I think custom90GT, GoNz0 and Eason alone have taken apart dozens of these XPS units. So based on those stats alone, I think it is reasonable to assume the factory thermal paste on these units is flawed, creating a major thermal performance bottleneck.

I find SpeedShift to be a great feature also.

"Ultra Performance" at least gives you a more aggressive fan profile that you can not access in BIOS. Not sure if it does anything else when using SpeedShift with EPP=0 and Windows Power Options at "high performance".

I think the undervolt requires you to have matching figures on "CPU core" and "CPU cache". NBR user Eason has a ThrottleStop guide linked in his signature using a 9550 as an example so take a look at that. You can also undervolt the Intel GPU in the above screen...

4. miXwui

Reputations:
    Ah, that's good to know!

I never finished my undervolting/stress testing, but I plan to. That guide seems very in-depth. Thanks!

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Undervolting can give up to 10*C+ thermals improvement on the i5 so that is an incredible bump in performance. i7 improvement is not quite as good but still excellent.

Of course, the defective thermal paste needs to be fixed, but you are good there. That gave me about 5*C thermal improvement, but removes artificial bottlenecks and allows the (flawed) fans-radiators to work as the engineers intended.

6. Jeremiah Tay

Jeremiah Tay Newbie

Reputations:

-----------
    Hey miXwui. Thanks for your post..
    I did almost all of what you suggested.
    Unfortunately I still got the fps drop. (This was while playing dota2 but i think it's similar to other games)
    My temp also went up to about 96C.
    I noticed that this usually causes the speed to drop to 0.8gHz, and thereby causing the lag.
    I have this issue for about 1.5 years now since I bought this XPS.. Still no fix. :(
    Dell has been frequently coming to change parts. the latest change was the motherboard and heat sync about 2 weeks ago.

Any suggestions?

7. miXwui

Reputations:
    Hey Jeremiah, sorry I didn't see this earlier -- are your CPU temps reaching 96C? That's quite high, are you sure you 1. did a repaste and 2. disabled turbo?

With these tweaks, during gaming your cpu should remain well under 90C (mine hovers around 80C). I haven't played Dota2 in a while or on this laptop, but I can try if you're still having issues.

Lastly, are you sure you uninstalled Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework software/drivers? This is the root cause of the throttling. You should have several unknown devices in device manager, which you then disable permanently.

Those steps above should cover CPU throttling!

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Why should the owners have to disable Turbo boost? The machine is defective if you need to do this!!

Jeremiah Tay likes this.
  9. miXwui

Reputations:
    You're right! The thermals of the XPS 15 were either designed poorly, or Dell wanted to keep things extra super safe. During "intensive" games (stressing both the cpu and gpu), the ambient temperature rises higher and higher when the cpu is turboed and pegged at 3.30ghz.

Disabling turbo during gaming sessions allows cpu temperatures to stay perfectly reasonable. Also, the cpu won't throttle without Intel DPTF, but the ambient heat leads to high gpu temperatures, thus resulting in gpu throttling. So to prevent gpu throttling, I have a Throttlestop profile to disable turbo while gaming. It's not really needed in the large majority of games anyways.

Jeremiah Tay likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    The machine is defective and should be returned. If people buy it and not return it... The ODM's will continue pushing out more machines who can't work as intended. All buyers will be screwed in the end. More money you throw after the ODM's, more utter trash will be sent out in return. This should be stopped!! All of us will suffer in the end, if this practice continue as now.