Dell XPS 15 9550: Some keys only registered if you press hard

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by ahmadka, Dec 11, 2020.

1. ahmadka

ahmadka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 4 year old Dell XPS 9550 of which some keyboard keys have recently become problematic. If I press them normally, their key press doesn't register. But if I hard press them then their key press registers with the OS. This effect is more intense for 1-2 keys in particular. I tried using compressed air to blow out any dust/debris from under those keys but it didn't help.

Can I somehow take the problematic key out and clean it from underneath ? ... or does the whole keyboard need to be replaced or something ?

2. Chang_loo

Chang_loo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi ahmadka,

as far as I know you have to replace the entire Keyboard.On ebay I found new Keyboards for around USD 20. If you fear disassambling your device, you may be lucky to find a repair shop doing this for you.

3. ahmadka

ahmadka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    pressing likes this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With that video you might try to clean underneath a failing key and look for damage.

It looks uber-delicate so there is a good probability of breaking the key mechanism.

Dell has a service manual PDF showing how to replace the entire keyboard. You have to remove the motherboard.