Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Reading the 9550 threads from the beginning, grab a drink and a snack then settle in for a few hours reading, 2 is generous, I know one person said it not sure if it was 2.

Slight when your ears to the laptop, totally inaudible otherwise (without fans on)
    I hear the fans but used to go to raves in the 90's (back when you bought a cassette tape after the rave) so I now live with tinnitus and say pardon a lot :\

If you want coil whine go listen to a 9530!

2. MrSpeaker

MrSpeaker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I once heard nearly everyone's got an ear noise when put into a quiet room. I was actually wondering if it was just me, but there's reallye a coil whine. If it were only that smooth flow of air, it would actually remind me of the ocean. Now it's like being at the ocean - with a bigass moscito.

Anyone else hear the moscito?

3. CJ Davies

CJ Davies Newbie

Reputations:
    My USB C adapter makes a high pitched whine when it is connected & the laptop is sleeping, but not when it is connected & the laptop is on. Slightly annoying, because when I sleep the laptop is often when I want to sleep myself & don't want the whine!

4. MrSpeaker

Reputations:
    Howbout when you multitask four 1080p youtube videos and the fan begins to kick in. That's when the whine occurs with mine.

5. Kikuri

Kikuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. I've the same problem with my XPS 15 9550 (i7, FHD, 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD PM951) and I think it's a problem with the new generation of the Intel CPUs (Skylake). I will sent back the machine to Dell.

So, a change of the mainboard doesn't fix the problem with coile whining.

6. MrSpeaker

Reputations:
    Hi, I have the exact same notebook. With mine it seems to be closely coupled with the fans. I think I might try to replace it one more time.

7. CJ Davies

CJ Davies Newbie

Reputations:
    I've not noticed coil whine when running heavy tasks (like batch exporting from Premiere/After Effects), maybe I am just one of the lucky ones.

8. MrSpeaker

Reputations:
    I'll just keep on playing the Dell Roulette

9. MrSpeaker

Reputations:
    If you guys could put on 4 or 5 youtube vids at the same time and then describe what you hear once the fans kick off, that would be much appreciated. Is it just a low frequency air sound or is there also a higher pitch accompanying sound

10. AM Radio

AM Radio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just tried this for the heck of it.

- 9550 is connected via Displayport/USB-C to a 3440x1440 display
    - already have photoshop (three files: two small files, one abt 150MB) and indesign (two files) running
    - Edge browser streaming a radio station (adblockers on Chrome won't let allow this stream)
    - Chrome browser with 10 tabs open

proceeded to open four brand new Chrome windows, each loaded with a different YouTube video

result: NO CHANGE in barely audible fan noise.

but this i mean:
    - no "low frequency air sound"
    - no "higher pitch accompanying sound"
    - if i put my ear very close to the notebook, i can hear the fan(s), but it is so quiet that the buzz from my desk lamp is probably 5 times louder.
    - my notebook is almost always pretty much silent like this. the last time i recall my fans ramped up was when i was updating my bios. easily the quietest notebook i've ever had.

Kikuri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.