Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bommel87

Bommel87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can recommend installing the newest audio driver from Realtek/Dell. Finally, the the volume is working properly. Beforehand, already very small values (like 10), were very loud, especially with headphones (I was usually only at a setting of 4!).

Now it is working as it should. The bug-list is shortening. ;)

Kikuri likes this.
  2. SunBeech

SunBeech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also installed the new audio driver, but that did not change the volume behaviour. However the audio driver/software remembers the seperate volume/MaxxAudio settings for the laptop speakers and headphone respectively. So whenever I connect my headphones, the volume is automatically lowered. The previous driver also worked like this in my case, so basically nothing changed.

3. CJ Davies

CJ Davies Newbie

Reputations:
    I thought that I had fixed the issues with my XPS 15, but today it started not waking from sleep properly. I will close the lid, putting it to sleep, then when I open the lid later, whether it is 5 minutes of 5 hours, it seems to be completely random whether it will actually wake up properly (giving me the Windows 10 login screen), or fail (giving me the Dell splash screen & booting from scratch). Anybody else experienced this & know a solution? Latest BIOS, AHCI mode, NVMe driver, no issues when actually running in Windows - just when trying to wake from sleep :(

4. MrSpeaker

MrSpeaker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here. How many people have this issue? Has anyone found a fix for this or is it hardware/mainboard related?

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    seems to be by design to try and cool the battery.

6. Thomas Mechlinski

Thomas Mechlinski Newbie

Reputations:
    The same problem with my Precision 5110 (2 months old). At first, I assumed a relationship with a Windows Update on March 10, but after deinstalling that, it was not fixed. All drivers and BIOS are newest versions.
    And I have the same issue with the fan noise when the USB-C dock is plugged in. This laptop is time-expensive :-(
    Thomas

7. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can not see it. Also the Intel TB info tool is more or less empty. I thought with the oldest BIOS and drivers (just when I received the XPS) I saw something in there, but now nothing. Might be normal as long as nothing is connected.

8. MrSpeaker

MrSpeaker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's no noticeable heat increase when the AC adapter is plugged in. It would be nice to find out if you're right though and the fans come on by design to cool the battery.

Could other people comment on this who have that same notebook. Does the fan turn on for you too when charging the battery and the battery is not fully charged?

9. Laki021

Laki021 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, and it is normal.
    Also, if you touch your computer or phone while they are in a fast charge mode they are worm/hot, that is why the fan spins faster.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Out of everyone asked about the fan I think 2 people said it didn't spin the fan during charge. Anyway it will cut out around 80% as it leaves fast charge mode then to slowly take it to 100%.
    2 out of say 40 would leave me thinking 2 people have faulty laptops or lower rated chargers not pushing enough for a fast charge.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.