Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If I can get a free/new battery, I'll take it :p

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    new.

Funny man :)

Eason likes this.
  3. nappy123

nappy123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Eason,
    I ran the diagnostic as u suggested and everything is OK.
    my computer might work for 30 minutes normally then FLICKERNG appears...also sometimes when I adjust the brightness of the monitor by pressing the keyboard keys..cannot adjust brightness. I see the slider on the screen getting brighter/dimmer but brigthness remains the same.

Anyone have any other recommendations or know what it can be? I am in windows 10.
    Screen DOES NOT flicker during startup when the dell logo comes on but once booting into windows might start flickering..

any help would be appreciated! thx

4. Drachnos

Drachnos Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

I have read all the threads I could find before purchasing the new XPS 9550 (FHD/i7/512go ssd). I received it a few days ago and started using it today. I just did the updates required by Dell Update (BIOS + something else and NVidia drivers). I am just a casual user.

However, I have two issues with the screen : One is a dead pixel ( a black one, but it is not really visible unless you focus on it so I don't really mind anyway, even though it's a shame for a 1600 eu machine). The second issue is more problematic : While leaving my computer for a few minutes and then going back to my browser (Chrome), part of the screen (usually the upper part) randomly becomes black and I need to change the page I am browsing in order to make it disappear.

Do you think it is a hardware (display) issue or just something to fix with the drivers ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot for any help or advice,

5. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks to @GoNz0 for the guide you posted. Today I was able to line up my ports on both sides of my 9550 and it looks a lot better now. The board on both sides needed to come towards the front of the machine and ended up with the little locator pegs looking like in the picture above - they were in the middle to start with. I'd say the locator pegs in mine are a either in the wrong place by a very small amount or another component isn't quite the right size. Never to mind though as its a lot better now and was quite a straightforward job in the end.

Cheers! :D

Kikuri, mj084 and GoNz0 like this.
  6. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Best bets to download Intel video drivers from Intel not Dell, you may need the zip version and updating via device manager pointing to the inf file in the extracted folder as running the exe may not work.

Also grab newish nvidia drivers, I think 361.75 are a safe bet.

Glad to help :)

Kikuri likes this.
  7. Techland

Techland Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just to avoid further usage of wrong names in this thread or others: Lightning is the port found on Apple iPhone/iPad. It has technically nothing in common with the USB C port on the Dell. And this USB C port includes Thunderbolt 3, not Lightning.

Thanks for the aligning instructions!

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Edited :)

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well they came today with a brand new battery in the box. 0 cycles. 6% wear. They're going to change it again.

10. quantumslip

quantumslip Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    fyi my new xps 15 came with around the same amount of wear. to fix it I discharged it from 100 -> 5%, then back to 100%. Wear dropped to 0.2%.

Kikuri and hmscott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.