Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsquared2

dsquared2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When it is starting, hold the power button down for 15 seconds or until it completely shuts off. See if it boots up. No updates were pushed that I am aware of.

2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah I mean it starts/restarts fine. But when I turn it on from sleep with the power button it just doesn't turn on and will restart.

3. caac88

caac88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell planned to change my XPS 15 9550 i7/4K/512/16gb ram as touchscreen has dead...I'm hoping the second unit will be perfect. Really bad with Dell

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And it's mysteriously fixed itself. Such are Windows pcs.

5. CJ Davies

CJ Davies Newbie

Reputations:
    Just adding my experiences for other people that come across this thread via Google (as I did).

Switched to AHCI mode, wiped the SSD, installed Windows 10 Pro. Had frequent BSODs.

Did some Googling, found this thread. Upgraded to latest BIOS, installed the Intel RST f6flpy-x64.zip AHCI drivers. Still had frequent BSODs.

Installed the Samsung NVMe driver. Had one failed wake-from-hibernation.

Disabled the default auto hibernation after 3 hours feature (I generally do this anyway, but forgot). Not had a BSOD since (several days now).

So as far as I can tell, the Samsung NVMe driver was the key thing to finally fix the BSODs. Thanks to everybody that has contributed to this thread so far :)

Kikuri likes this.
  6. nappy123

nappy123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    I have owned my dell xps 15 9550 for around 3 months now.
    Suddenly, today...screen starts FLICKERING every second or so. Anyone have a resolution for this? Anyone encountered or know of the source of this issue?
    Help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    F12 during boot, run diagnostic.

Kikuri likes this.
  8. REB154

REB154 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've read just about every post regarding the 9550 and find some of it quite horrifying.

I received my XPS 15 9550 with 32Gb/1TB i7 back in January (although ordered in November 2015). Over the past two weeks (probably since updating the BIOS to 1.1.19) or so I have started having the 'Black Screen' fault where for no apparent reason the screen goes black and the system is unresponsive. The only way to get back in is to force a shutdown and reboot after which the laptop works fine - until the next black screen.

I have just spoken to UK Dell Tech Support who have asked me to connect an external monitor via HDMI (which I can and will do) to see what happens there and to roll the firmware back to 1.1.15. They have booked a follow-up telephone call for Friday to further discuss the issue. I've already said I would not be happy with a refurbished part or laptop to resolve the issue. I know it's likely to be a 'return for service' deal but at least I lodged my protest considering how much I paid for this laptop.

I have a Samsung 950 Pro sitting here ready to replace the 32Gb and I'm wondering whether to bother at the moment.

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mine was refurb and at 6% battery wear. I called Dell and after a couple of days they're seeing if they have the parts available to fix it in site. I know a lot of people are interested in buying the 6-cell battery, so this might hint at availability.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Mine had 3% but it was false as it showed it had charged to it's designated capacity not one reduced by 3%

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.