Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hadn't noticed but mines the same as some of the others posted up with the Thunderbolt port off to one side - I doubt I could easily get a lead in there without difficulty.

I'm going to download the service manual and have a go at straightening it up myself - I've also got a bit of OCD and now I know its off centre :eek:

I'm impressed with your abilities GoNz0, you should go and advise Dell as a consultant!

2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Guys I referenced this thread in my article. When I started writing it was "the 59-page thread on notebookreview devoted exclusively to issues endemic to the XPS 15 9550" but it's now become "the 61-page thread"... I can't keep updating it! ;)

3. mj084

mj084 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for offtopic, but what is OCD?

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Obsessive-compulsive disorder.

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Actually I have CDO, it's like OCD but in the right order :)

( I will get my coat)

Eason likes this.
  6. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, I am Toshiba Epson & Smart factory trained, Dell engineers don't like coming to my house as I am normally old enough to be their Dad with better training (And I have read the service manual unlike them):)

I had a PM earlier asking for it to be explained as English wasn't his language. I will post it up below as it will help when you read the manual.
    Ignore the manual telling you to remove most things prior to the board as you can remove the board with the heatsink attached if need be.

Take precautions to discharge static by using an anti static mat and wristband, if you don't then be prepared to book a service call if you fry the board.
    Once inside the laptop disconnect the battery.

If you have compressed air to blast out the laptop removing and dirt & debris from the work you are about to do then great, otherwise you could use a paintbrush at your own risk as static can kill a board
    I ground down the mounting points in the picture by 1/2mm (half a mm not 1 or 2) to allow the case to fit together.
    I protected the motherboard from metal fragments by covering it with a paper cloth (not shown as I forgot to take a pic) and made a small hole placed over each mount to prevent metal fragments getting on the board.
    Grind a little bit off the mounting post, you can always take more off but never put it back.
    After grinding down the mounts with my Dremel I tipped everything on its side and brushed off the loose filings then tipped upside down to remove the cloth. give the cloth a good shake taking note of the side that was up so you don't put in on upside down allowing any bits to fall in.

[​IMG]

To align the ports remove the 4 screws marked red, they are not the same length so take note. The one holding the wireless card is attached to the metal plate so take the metal plate with the screw.

Loosen all the green screws and adjust the motherboard to align the ports. tighten all the screws and check the port is ok.

Replace the screws and check all are tight. (check twice)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Woodking, dunces and mj084 like this.
  7. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

This machine is driving us all a little crazy....

8. dsquared2

dsquared2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am still on BIOS 1.00.07 (I think that's it?) that came with the laptop out of fear of .19 screwing things up haha.

After updating all of the software for the ThunderBolt Dock TB-15, it seems to be running just fine now. Before, the whole dock would disconnect and just charge the laptop.

9. SonyHome

SonyHome Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Funny! :biglaugh:

I feel sorry for you guys. After spending so much on your new toy, you have to mess around just to get it to look normal... Luckily for me I'm not seeing any of these defects on my unit.

10. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Agh. FFS. Starting this morning, the computer just won't resume from sleep. It starts and then it dies. It just cannot resume from sleep. Any ideas? I'm not on the windows insider programme. It was literally working fine yesterday, and now today it can't. Did an update get pushed or something?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.