Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunces

dunces Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, haven't seen that thread. Looks like almost all XPS 15 sold here in Europe right now has the port issue. I've read UK posts about it, and in Sweden a lot of people has gotten misaligned ones as well lately.

The support said that they could sent a technician to my house who could replace the motherboard and palm rest (chassis), but I'm sceptical. That would pretty much entail rebuilding the entire laptop. I doubt that they would do a perfect job. And the screen still has that red tint issue. I'll return it and hope they've fixed these issues in a few months.

I've thought about opening it myself and attempting to readjust it, but I doubt that it's possible to move it that much easily. Not very tempted to void my warranty either.

The ports are working, but requires a lot of force sideways to get the contact in. Each time it scratches the chassis as well. To have that much pressure on the contact could risk breaking the port in the long run.

Here's an image of mine

[​IMG]

mj084 likes this.
  2. mj084

mj084 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thx for detailed answer:)

But all XPS15' which a sold in Europe were produced in China, so any differences with sold XPS' in USA?

Your left side looks like mine, there is a gap between the silver frame and the black plastic edge...

This USB 3.1 Type-C Port is working, really? Doesn't looks like that cable/connector will fit in!

Hmhm but removing the cover will not void the warranty...and adjusting the ports only with litte force without any physical damage...

3. Gallagher1280

Gallagher1280 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys I got a dell outlet refurbished model and debating on whether to return it or not the problems I am having are bad viewing angles on the 4k igzo panel if I turn my head a little it starts going red, the fan is turning on constantly be whether I am charging or just light chrome use, and lastly whenever I close the lid the at like 70% battery the battery will drain to 0% by the morning its done this to me twice so far in the 5 days I`ve had the laptop. Are these issues normal or should I just get my money back?

Edit: Also whenever I restart the laptop it sometimes wont fully restart as when it completely shuts down and goes to restart it will sit with a powered off screen (black) the power button lit up and keyboard illuminated and just hang the and never complete the boot up

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    I never noticed until now, mines the same but the lightening port lines up when the case is squeezed together. It is still off center though. I will take the one to be returned out the box and inspect it, if it is the same I will open it up and take a look to see if anything can be done. the mainboards got location pegs so I doubt much can be done.

mj084 likes this.
  5. GoNz0

Reputations:
    The other one wasn't as bad so I took my new one to bits. Page 53 of the service manual. You can loosen the 5 motherboard, 2 daughterboard (they are the 2 that are either side of the bottom right motherboard screw looking at the diagram) and 4 fan screws and center the USB-C port then tighten them all back up again making sure the single USB on the other sides central before you tighten all 7 screws back up followed by the 4 fan screws. As for the gap between the bottom cover and the palmrest, the palmrest is out due to it relaxing with the lack of material with all the cutouts so it still has a slight gap. Both have this a little and I expect it is a mild warping during manufacture so I doubt it will ever get fixed as Dell don't care enough. I don't have a USB-C cable to try but I expect it will work as intended now it is central. There is enough flex in the board to give when you plug it in.

Screw letting Dell come and swap the mainboard and palmrest as you will end up with 2nd hand parts installed and probably worst condition that before they touched it.

I removed the thermal pad on the palmrest that contacts the USB-C port but it made no difference so I put it back. Then tried a piece of tape on the bottom cover where it contacts the port, this pushed it up but left a bigger gap so I took it out.

I forgot the before pic but this is after.

I really need to stop taking this apart as I did well out of this deal getting this 1tb + 32gb ram to replace my 9530 512/16gb so I can live with this slight gap!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    dunces likes this.
  6. ivankapitan

ivankapitan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I have strange problem with my Dell xps 13(9350)
    Connected xps to Dell monitor through adapter USB-C->HDMI. If the laptop cover is open - all fine. But if cover is close - the image on the monitor flashes periodically. Power settings established, updated drivers.

Perhaps someone faced with such a problem. How can fix this?:)

mj084 likes this.
  7. mj084

mj084 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @GoNz0

Nice one!

I can't read in your text how u fixed it finally :D

8. dunces

dunces Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @GoNz0

Really appreciate that you posted your results. Looks promising. I might attempt to do this before sending it back.

Then again, I still have the red tint of the display. Anyone else has a redness to the left of the screen? It's pretty visible on white backgrounds.

9. GoNz0

Reputations:
    OCD kicked in this morning. I took the base off again, got a paper cloth and punched a hole it in and placed that over the stand off's the base screws onto.
    10 minutes fiddling with the dremel I had ground off about half a mm on the 2 standoffs either side of the ports.
    Happy now, it pulls the deformed bit of palmrest down for a better fit.

I decided against removing any more of the standoff to see if it relaxes a bit on it's own over the next few weeks with the base pushing more on the corner.

Also didn't want to risk it snapping anything off!

[​IMG]

10. GoNz0

Reputations:
    I don't have the tint looking head on, can you take a pic and make sure it gives an idea of any angle to see it or is it head on?

more pics. This is the locating hole at the bottom right of the motherboard before I adjusted the boards position to line up the port.
    Lazy assembly staff and piss poor QC at play.

[​IMG]

mj084, Woodking and Eason like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.