Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lundon44

Lundon44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad I found this thread. I'm getting smoked every day multiple times with the Critical Process Died bluescreen. I have the 512GB SSD only option and using AHCI. My system wouldn't recognize the SSD in RAID mode. Will try these Samsung drivers tonight.

Btw, should I be uninstalling a driver before installing the Samsung one?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. dimsdale

dimsdale Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is annyone else having a problem with keys repeating on the XPS 9550? I'm on my second XPS 9550, ,and both have had this problem where, especially when typing quickly, that kekys will be repeated - even though I only hit the key once. I've been living on computers sinice the Apple][+ and have never had this problem before. Doing some searching, there are numerous reports of this happening on previous Dell machines - going back years.
    In particular, it happens with the comma key. So if I type is, ,is, is, ,is, ,is, ,is, ,is, ,is, is, is, is, is, is, is, ,is,
    it will repeat the comma with high frequency, as above. Amazingly, it will repeat the comma after I hit the space. So there's a little delay before the repeat happens. Really unbelievable. This is my second XPS with this exact problem. Returned the first to Best Buy. Was at the MSFT store today and tried out the floor model XPS. Same problem. I assume that all copies have this but most people haven't noticed.
    If the upcoming BIOS doesn't fix this, will be returning this one as well. At least I get a new laptop ever 30 days. Thanks Dell!
    But seriously, annyone else have this problem?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  3. Matthias.Hoeller

Matthias.Hoeller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I followed many of mike_nbr's suggestions from his very helpful first post.
    I noticed that two of his "General recommendations" are in the wrong order though.
    Changing those drivers (see below) only works after you change the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI. Otherwise the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers option is not present in the device manager.

So maybe mike_nbr can modify the first post and change the order of those two recommendations? It would probably be helpful for a few people since it took me an hour or so to figure this out.

Thanks&best,
    Matt

mike_nbr likes this.
  4. mike_nbr

mike_nbr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion, done!

vladmoney likes this.
  5. yfzcentral

yfzcentral Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New owner here (i7, 512gb)

Issue: my machine is restarting after I close the lid. I have it set to sleep, but something is causing it to crash.

Is this related to the issues listed in the first post?

Thank you,

6. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I installed the Intel 530 Graphics Beta 15.40.12.4326 driver last week which completely resolved all screen flickering and display driver crashes. For those interested, the link is below but must be manually installed. Otherwise I expect it to be released in full form in the next few weeks which should resolve everyone's issues
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...a-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

Also, I think the RAID/AHCI setting instructions should be clarified. If you switch from RAID to AHCI without installing the Samsung drivers, it will result in many BSOD. Maybe add a line that this option is only for those willing to find and install the appropriate drivers or troubleshoot the BSODs

7. YoungStarDC

YoungStarDC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried using the Samsung NVMe driver for AHCI, but on every reboot I would get a "hard drive not installed" error. Note, only on reboots, and not on cold boots. I am now using the standard NVMe driver and I haven't experienced a BSOD.

8. Raymond Dijkstra

Raymond Dijkstra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Annihil likes this.
  9. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From comments of others on the Dell forums and my own experience, the coil whine issue is largely due to faulty AC adapters and is resolved after receiving a new one from Dell. Dell also seemed to be aware of this when I called as they pretty quickly offered to send a new one.

10. dimsdale

dimsdale Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    4331 is also available from Dell on the 9550 support page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.