Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laki021

Laki021 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Each time when I am buying a laptop I have the same dilemma, go for Dell and have state of the art laptop with best screen, great build quality, all advanced features, but be ready to be beta tester for 6-12 months, or get Lenovo with terrible plastic, worst screen on the market with unbelievably bad viewing angles (like 10 years ago), cheap design, 1kg extra, get the newest generation of processors few months later, but have reliable machine...
    This is third time in a row that I got Dell, and for me this is love/hate relationship, I really love the design, performance, screen (ohhh I love the screen), but there are simply too many problems.
    My previous XPS 12 Duo was even worst, I wanted to return it after one week since it was absolutely unusable due to incredible amount of problems, but then after 173 bios and driver updates it becomes good laptop (but for this one took them 2 years to really solve problems), I hope with this one Dell will be faster.

2. Kraszus

Kraszus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm trying to get AHCI mode to work. I have uninstalled the intel rapid software. However I don't see IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in Device Manager.

I have the 2 files I am supposed to update manually, just don't know where to do it.

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you switch in BIOS already? It will only be there after you switch AHCI on (which you need to safe-most restart then enter bios to do).

Also, the machine hangs for like 20 seconds if you restart it with just a black screen in RAID. Is this still an ongoing thing with no solution?

4. caac88

caac88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I noticed a strange thing in my XPS: when I turn on the laptop, XPS try booting for about 3/4 seconds on Black and white Dell screen and then it turns off. I have to boot again the XPS to arrive at Windows 10 Home page every time. Do I have to set something in the BIOS boot? All the drivers are upgraded with BIOS .19 with UEFI booting (this issue came out since I did a clean install)

5. dunces

dunces Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I got a XPS 15 FHD/i7/16GB/512GB SSD a week ago here in Sweden and will have to return it. It's too bad, as without the manufacturing faults it would have been almost the perfect laptop.

- Misaligned ports. The ports on the left side of the chassis are misaligned to the holes. The Thunderbolt 3/USB C port is particularly off, so much that there's a risk of braking it if I try to use it. The HDMI is also so much off that I have to stick in the contact at an angle to use it. I've seen several reports of this lately from others who got this laptop. There must be a whole batch that is affected by this.

- Red tint. The screen is noticably reddish to the left side, while the right side appears more green (and natural) in comparison. This red tint seems to be unaffected by viewing angles, temperature and usage. It is most visible with white and light grey backgrounds, like most web pages use. I haven't seen reports of this, so maybe I just got unlucky?

- Other small mistakes. The keyboard lightning is a bit uneven. I can hear a slight coil whine when using it, it gets more noticeable when charging. There was some glue residue along the screen edge, but it seemed to be removed with some cleaning pretty easily.

Otherwise the performance is great and battery life incredible. I'd easily get 10 hours out of it browsing, watching videos and writing on stuff. The first thing I did was reinstalling Windows 10 and the stability has been rock solid. The build quality would also have been impressive, if not for these faults. I may give it another go in a few months when hopefully Dell has managed to improve the manufacturing of it. My BIOS version was from November, so maybe they are still shipping out very early units?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  6. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    I got the squeaky keyboard space bar this morning and followed through with my own advice of using graphite lock lubricant to fix it. I have an aerosol version it had a good and a bad side. Bad side is it tries to spray everywhere so I was very gentle when pushing it onto the hinge mounts of the space bar so only a little went on while it was placed in the middle of a paper wipe to absorb any overspray. Good side is it coats and sticks so graphite isn't dropping where it shouldn't. It went well and a little alcohol spray to clean the sides before refitting. So far so good. At least dust won't stick to the graphite and time will tell how long it lasts.

7. mj084

mj084 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for bringing these issues up. I'm just finishing up a review of the xps 15 that looks at the current state of the product and its issues.

9. mj084

mj084 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Eason

You're welcome;)

Waiting now for your review;)

Eason likes this.
  10. TallSurgeon

TallSurgeon Newbie

Reputations:
    I notice you have a 2TB SSD drive. This configuration is not available through Dell. Did you by the laptop and then change the SSD? Anywhere to buy the XPS 9550 with a 2 TB SSD installed?
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.