Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just wanted to bring up that I kinda got my bluetooth audio working by uninstalling the broadcomm BT software. Not the drivers, just the POS software.

2. SunBeech

SunBeech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hope Dell is able to help you soon. If it all works, then the XPS 15 is a great machine!

Watergate likes this.
  3. YellowZ06

YellowZ06 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just sent my XPS 9550 i7/4k/16 GB / 512 SM951 back and purchased the same machine with the 1 TB PM951 drive. I paid $1320 after taxes for the first machine and $1620 for the 1 TB machine. These are both outlet machines and it is probably not worth the premium I paid given the speed difference between the PM951 & the SM951.

I should have purchased a smaller SSD and swapped it out with a better SSD on my own. Would this be worth cancelling altogether? Would I even notice the difference? I have had nothing but problems with my 9550, yet I still keep hanging on to the thought of getting a good one.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    I would stick with the 1tb SSD as it is only a few% slower than the 512gb 950 Pro, I didn't bother refitting my 950 pro when I got upgraded to a 1tb as 4%read/6%write is sod all considering you get double the storage, I missed the 1tb storage I had in my 9530 so this is very welcome for my needs.

Also the 1tb was my 4th machine and finally a good one!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  5. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good to hear you finally got a peach when the other 3 were lemons!

Can I be cheeky to ask what you used to create your ISO's with, what software and would you recommend it? Got a few rebuilds to do soon and need something that actually works! Cheers

6. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Not a problem, it makes life easy when a one hit ISO gets you to the desktop with internet enabled and all drivers are installed (bar a few that download once you get online)
    Standard windows image files in iso format straight from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    Extracted by mounting the ISO (clicking on it does the job on win10) to a folder you point nLite free at http://www.nliteos.com/
    Download Intel's RST drivers 64 bit normally from winraid (section B of the 1st post >64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI/RAID Drivers v14.8.1.1043 WHQL<
    http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html

Using this guide http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html
    integrate into the windows image and boot image (boot image is needed to see the NVMe drive) along with adding extracted drivers from Dell's site apart form the VGA drivers. ( I opted to delete the old intel drivers as per Fernando's guide)
    I integrated the following by using the extract option to a folder and adding the driver folder to nlite
    Audio (you need to install it again after you get to desktop to add the features for some stupid reason)
    Card Reader (may not be needed but I did it anyway)
    Intel VGA https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...intel.com/25749/eng/Beta_15.40.18.64.4380.zip
    Nvidia VGA 359.06 (these don't cause BSOD with Adobe and some web pages) http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96079/en
    IO Driver
    ST Microlectronics LNG3DMTR Motion Sensor Driver
    Thermals
    Thunderbolt
    Wifi

Once the image file is compiled you can make an ISO using nlite, after that use Rufus 2.7 (current version) to burn it to the USB stick.
    It should pick fat32 (fat32 large if the USB is over 32gb) GPT partition so you can install using secure boot on/legacy off

If the laptop refuses to see the USB stick in secure mode you need to do a BIOS reset as I had to do on this laptop even though it showed fine on the last 3!

The installer can be used on any computer but it has the drivers needed for this laptop, I used it to put a fresh copy on my games rig at the weekend :)

Hope it helps.

Fabbbrrr and Woodking like this.
  7. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is really useful and good of you for taking the time to post this, thanks. :) This will help me to learn how to do it myself and save a lot of time in the future!

8. AM Radio

AM Radio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    here's another one, related to external display via USB-C + Displayport

- projecting only to external display, everything great, apps up, working.
    - went to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee, came back just ten minutes later, external display is on power-save mode, and the built-in display is lit up
    - tried to switch it back via Display Settings, but the external display is no longer detected
    - signing out/in doesn't remedy the situation, have to reboot

OP should rename this thread "Dell XPS 9550 Ongoing Beta Testing"

9. percy_tc

percy_tc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. GoNz0

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.