Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrozenFusion

FrozenFusion Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep, the 512GB PM951 that it came with. I have been able to reboot and cold boot without issue, I'm not sure what might be different for me. Still no BSODs, or any other new issues since switching to that driver. The only remaining significant issue for me is the screen flickering.

2. Annihil

Annihil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been able to reboot without having the problem too. Happens like 1/20 of the time I think. Don't know why thought...

3. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    mike_nbr

Thanks so much for consolidating this list! Excellent way to track possible issues.

I just received my XPS15 yesterday - can confirm #8 on mine, and good to hear that Dell will fix in next BIOS.

A few other issues I think i have

Screen - red shift issue when viewing certain colors at "extreme" angles and some minor backlight bleed in two locations along the bottom of the screen panel. Hardly visible when brightness is set under 50% - and generally only noticeable on bootup.

Fit and Finish - the charging led does bleed through what appears to be small gaps on the front of the unit.

I had been using an XPS13 (9350) before trading that in for an XPS15. The XPS13 had no issues for screen or fit and finish - so in that sense, I'm a little let down by this pricier XPS15. But I'm not sure my issues warrant and exchange just yet. We will see.

While I'm not a fan of early adopter beta tester status - I also didn't want to wait another couple months to resolve all these bugs. The reality is, if you want a windows computer, especially a notebook, to be bug free, you need to get gen 2 devices AND wait 1 year post major new Operating system release (Win 10). I wish Windows world were different, but it is vastly better than it used to be.

4. R3v4n

R3v4n Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I switched to AHCI and installed the samsung nvme driver.

However now I can't reboot at all, everytime it says "no hard drive detected" its fine however on cold boot.

I've downloaded the intel drivers and I'm trying to switch to those but Windows won't actually install them (via device manager > update driver) because it thinks the samsung ones I have are the best drivers. I tried to uninstall the samsung driver then install the intel one but of course once I uninstall them the device no longer appears in device manager until I reboot. At which point it seems the Samsung nvme driver gets loaded back on.

If I run the setup.exe from intel it says no device detected.

Any ideas how I can get these samsung drivers off?

EDIT: Gah been having issues all night, I think I'll just restore it from the factory backup. I assume to use the recovery partition I just need to use the "Reset" button in Windows 10 settings?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  5. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One more: with external display connected fans go to high (same speed as when viewing the bios) for no good reason, cpu temps at 27C, looking at trends from Intel XTU nothing changes on iGPU, Nvidia inactive. I don't know what drives them high. And the display is only 1920x1200.

6. Techgee

Techgee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To get back to the default Microsoft NVMe / AHCI controller I think I uninstalled the Samsung NVMe / AHCI drivers and then did a Safe Boot (without changing the BIOS).

I tested the Intel NVMe / AHCI driver (for 750, etc.) with the PM951. It seemed to drop my 4K / 4K Q32T1 performance EVEN AFTER I UNINSTALLED IT. If you still want to mess with it you need to do a manual install from Device Manager as you were, but do the "have disk" thing. I always did this from the standard NVMe driver that comes with Windows 10.

7. Techgee

Techgee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  8. R3v4n

R3v4n Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah at this point I just want to go back to factory state.

I don't really have time for the hassle lol. Now the laptop doesn't do anything on cold boot - music won't play, games won't start, cortana/search features don't work once I do a restart everything starts working again. It's just baffling I have no idea what's causing it, I've actually gone back to the standard RAID/RST config.

So yeah just looking for a way to use the Recovery partition I can see it on device manager but can't boot from it for whatever reason.

9. mike_nbr

mike_nbr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been wondering if anyone actually owns Samsung SSD 950 PRO M.2 + NVMe drivers and still has all these problems?

10. mike_nbr

mike_nbr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe this would be helpful https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941

Also, everyone please when reporting a problem/suggestion please mention obligatory:

1. OS version
    2. Drives configuration (M.2 only vs M.2 + SSD vs M.2 + HDD vs SSD only vs HDD only)
    3. BIOS version
    4. BIOS mode: AHCI vs RAID
    5. Installed/not installed Samsung NVMe drivers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.