Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annihil

Annihil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can confirm that f6flpy-x64.zip increase SSD speed in AHCI, so does BIOS v01.00.07.
    But I still got BSOD (critical process died) in AHCI, I've tried everything (clean Windows 10 Pro install, stock windows driver / iaAHCIC.inf & iaahcic.cat. I've the 1TB SSD (PM961) and need AHCI mode because I need ubuntu for developpement.

Maybe you can add some more :
    • BIOS takes about 5-10 seconds to load on cold boot (a little faster when hibernating, but that is not a fix as it prevent the use of partitions under linux)
    • Wake up from sleep takes 5-10 seconds (fixed when hybrid sleep is enabled in the power management settings, but it will shorten the ssd life span so need a better fix)
    • Keyboard backlight timeout of 10 seconds : fix
    • Weight distribution issue (wobble under the corner with the sticker) : fix
    • Precision touchpad issue, small movement not registered : fix
    • Display driver not responding (looks like this) : fix
    • Screen flickering if you set your brightness setting to the dimmest possible option
    • As you already said : IPS glow

BigDdyJ likes this.
  2. g.achrainer

g.achrainer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi,
    tried to test your ideas, but failed totally (Bluescreen CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED multiple times, now completely frozen while booting). Used AHCI without any drivers, not even WLAN before the first Bluescreen.
    But, I noticed a few things:
    - SSD performance is NOT lower on AHCI, but it is lower on Battery (4K reads 40MB/s -> 25MB/s)
    - your recommended fix for the Intel graphics driver enhances the issue, but does NOT completely fix it (still seeing a crash in edge browser when using http://speedof.me a few times)
    Giving up now, thanks for your help.
    Gerhard

3. g.achrainer

Reputations:
    My XPS is a fresh install now (though it shows lots of bluescreens).

To test it's real life performance, I decided to setup a SQL Server 2014 instance with a 1.2 GB Database. Then I started a reindex (more CPU usage) and a shrink database (more SSD usage).
    Results are much worse than I hoped, takes almost exactly 2x longer than my old HP Elitebook 850 G1 (i7-4600 / Samsung 840 Pro SSD). Aside from that, the HP is faster in any aspect that I tested so far (2 secs to resume from sleep, about 12 secs for a cold boot to desktop).
    I cannot believe that the XPS is that slow, so did anyone compare an i7-class notebook to the current XPS for real-life performance?

Thanks in advance
    Gerhard

4. g.achrainer

Reputations:
    Tried that now. Performance is nearly identical between AHCI/Windows default driver and AHCI/Intel driver.
    Gerhard

5. AffinityConsult

AffinityConsult Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you set the BIOS mode to ACHI and you have the m.2 slot populated. The system will not use the intel drivers at all. It will use either the default Windows nvme driver or you can install the Samsung Nvme driver. In this mode you can't use the m.2 slot as a cache drive.

If raid mode is set in BIOS you will use the RST driver for both Single Drive ACHI, the caching solution and for NVMe.

My reasoning for removing the RST drivers and setting to ACHI is that it removes an unnecessary driver stack. Which could help with speed and stability.

I have only had a single BSOD in the month I have been using this laptop. That was while watching videos in the Edge Browser.

In the f12 Diagnostics screen I get "unable to send DST" as an error message when testing the drive in ACHI mode, and no drive found in RAID mode.

6. RvN76

RvN76 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Where can I get the proper touchpad driver? The Dell driver on my previous 9530 provides me with customized multi-finger gestures. If I install the Synaptics driver directly I'll lose them right?

7. mike_nbr

mike_nbr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In case drivers are customized by DELL for a specific features you should download one from the DELL site. But as far as I can see Synaptic support multi-finger gestures - http://www.synaptics.com/en/gesture-suite-windows.php#info_content

8. mike_nbr

mike_nbr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok so let's summarise stuff to make it clear:

Drives configuration 1: M.2 SSD (NVMe) + SATA SSD/HDD (example: Samsung SSD M.2 SM951 256GB + Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB)
    1) In BIOS select "RAID" mode = both AHCI and RAID are enabled.
    2) It's recommended to remove the Intel RST software and install/leave only AHCI drivers.

Drives configuration 2: M.2 SSD (cache) + SATA SSD/HDD (example: 32GB M.2 cache drive + Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB)
    2) Latest Intel RST software should be installed.

Drives configuration 3: SATA SSD/HDD only (Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB)
    1) In BIOS select "AHCI" mod =, the M.2 slot will be disabled.
    2) It's recommended to remove the Intel RST software and install/leave only AHCI drivers.

Drives configuration 4: M.2 SSD (NVMe) only (example: Samsung SSD 950 PRO M.2 512GB)
    2) There is no need to keep either AHCI drivers or Intel RST software.

Does it sound right?

9. RvN76

RvN76 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Got it. Thanks!
    BTW did you uninstall Dell Premiem Color? Deleting it will make the screen running under full gamut all the time right? Or is there any other way to controll the gamut?

10. a15g

a15g Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im guessing no new update on cpu throttle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.