Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Schmoo2k

Schmoo2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It may be that your clock has got "locked" to 0.8GHz Open the Task Manager and click on the Performance page - does the "Speed" ever get up to 3.xGHz?

This happened to myself and a few others and is caused by a "safety" lockout in the bios when bad power supply is detected (I think) - the solution is to either unplug the battery to reset it (or drain the battery sufficiently to achieve the same affect). You may need to also press the power button for 40 seconds once drained and unplugged.

So let the battery drain until windows shuts down, then boot into the bios and let it drain to 0% and see if that helps.

pressing likes this.
  2. Bigg.I

Bigg.I Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Schmoo2k - Hans down. It has actually helped ! Awesome. Thank you

3. jordan2junior

jordan2junior Newbie

Reputations:
    Hy! Curious if some of you have experience with this 9550 problems. It's been existing since early 2016, but it took me nearly a year before being able to replicate it (knowing what causes it).
    Since then, I've send the device to Dells paid repair analysis but the problem never got addressed.

When lifting up the laptop and touching (carrying, ..) it at ~ on the bottom of the device near the left lower keyboard - the screen has a sudden black-coloured glitch and then with the last visible image frozen.
    Anyone familiar with this problem?

Thanks!

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is a screen cable that orignates from that area. It might be loose.

Not a popular problem on the 9550 but a handful of us had the problem.

-- You might try the following at your own risk. Remove the case bottom. When the computer is upsidedown on your workbench, you will see a rectangular dull silver cover about 1cm x 1cm in size with a black screw. That screw requires a JIS bit (not a normal Phillips bit or you will strip the screw and it is incredibly difficlut to remove - don't ask how I know). Carefully remove the cover and the connector. Make sure the cabling into the connector is not binding along the entire length. Then very CAREFULLY reseat the connector. Do NOT touch any of the electrical contacts. Replace the silver cover and tighten the JIS screw. If the mating surface is not plastic you can probably use LockTite (if there is plastic the LockTite will melt that)

-- Also could be a short. Start by checking on the case bottom that the copper sticker with black electrical coating is properly placed. I don't think you should see any copper (do a search for photos here to see what it should look like).

5. jordan2junior

jordan2junior Newbie

Reputations:

I've captured it on video. Greatly appreciated if some of you could look at it:
    Definately look at your suggestions Pressing. Thank you!

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same comments. Does not happen on my system.

If indeed it is a short, that can destroy your computer or worse.

This has happened to a few guys on the board so you can also do a search here at NBR for some more ideas.

7. Mike Housman

Mike Housman Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone had issues with the Killer Wireless in these laptops? Download speeds will go all the way down under 1Mbps and the only fix is to update the chipset driver. That sticks for a couple days and then you have to reinstall the driver again. Dell has been 0 help on the issue

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    See if changing roaming aggressiveness to lowest in device manager > Network Adapter > Right click on Killer 1535 and select properties. Select Advanced Tab and then apply the tweak I said above.
    Make sure you're using latest driver from Killer. Use revo to uninstall existing Killer Suite completely.

pressing likes this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There must be hundreds of posts here on the Killer Wireless issues; use the search bar. Results for the past few months might give you best results (drivers have changed and people have probably explored lots of potential solutions.)

I know some people installed different cards. Access is not so difficult although the wires are very small...

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hello Mike Housman,

I apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Killer adapter.

In addition to Vasudev's suggestion of updating the Killer Control Center (you can find the latest version on our website here - https://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/item/killer-control-center-x64 - I would also suggest updating the BIOS on your machine from the manufacturer's support page. If that doesn't solve the issue for you, please contact us directly at killersupport@rivetnetworks.com so that we can help you out!

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

paulomario77 and Vasudev like this.