Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    GoNz0 likes this.
  2. xxdata

xxdata Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I have XPS 15 9550, it has a nonsense issue, when you use it for a while, whatever the battery is in charging or not, the battery will swell, and swell will jack up the touchpad, then the touchpad will be useless. I contact with Dell service. they gave me that answer is as a customer, I am beyond the service. sucks. it makes me more disappointed ever.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    One way or the other you will need a new battery. Ask for Dell resolutions yet team, if you are out of warranty it will be hard work.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A swelling lipo battery can be dangerous so you want to get that sorted ASAP.

I assume you understand the gravity of the situation but if not, this video might provide you a sense of urgency:

5. cugel_spain

cugel_spain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Even though the laptop was out of warranty, in less than 24 hours, a Dell technician came to my address to replace the battery at no cost. I was told it was a problem recognized by Dell

6. GeraldNunn

GeraldNunn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought an open box 9550 the other day and had a question about the SSD. When I went to install Linux on it I noticed that the drive was not showing up as a NVMe SSD but rather SATA. Looking into the drive more, I can see it is a Micron 1100 %12 GB SSD which has far as I know is Sata and not NVMe. Did Dell ever use these drives on this model, wondering if the model I bought had a drive issue which was fixed by swapping this in. Just curious if it's worth raising a fuss about.

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    I think someone swiped the NVMe and stuck a SATA in before returning it as they shipped with NVMe drives apart from the lower models with NVMe cache drive and 1tb SATA 2.5"

8. haris163

haris163 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the same issue with the battery/touchpad. The MS store offered me to exchange for any laptop I want but the only one with similar specs is the 9560, which is currently out-of-stock. As soon they get it in stock, I will swap it. I am hoping that the new one will not have this issue.

9. Jedsters Labs

Jedsters Labs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all, well soon after the above activity, I gave up and called Dell support, they came onsite and fitted a new motherboard (nothing else worked.) The engineer was surprised that the F8 recovery key bricked machines running W10... but anyway, never again...

I have now added 3 more years DELL onsite premium support... cheaper than replacing a bricked laptop that cost £2,000 :)

10. Bigg.I

Bigg.I Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sudden performance decrease

Hey guys.. I am having some serious issues with my XPS15. it is XPS 15 9550 - 6700HQ - 960M 2GB - UHD - 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM. I have bought it like 13 months ago.. I have been using it 99% time on my desk, university related work - Photoshop - Premiere - illustrator etc. From time to time I like to play some OLD games - IL2 Sturmovik 1946, GT Legends, Stronghold Crusader, Arcanum... Basically, not very demanding games. The newest game I have tried was Dirt Rally. I has worked flawlessly when laptop was new.

Few weeks ago.. my laptop became rather slow.
    Although all drivers and BIOS were the latest, no viruses, laptop has passed all tests I could do. Dirt rally is unplayable with the low settings, GT Legends unplayable, IL2 sturmovik very very slow, Arcanum very slow. Browsing facebook is disaster using Chrome or Firefox. Loading times are also much longer than used to be (everywhere).

I did the fresh windows install via USB stick, installed all drivers and updates...but there was no difference!
    I have also tried benchmark 3DMark11 and this is my result:

test.jpg

This is a screenshot downloaded from notebookcheck.net (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-9550-Core-i7-FHD-Notebook-Review.158875.0.html)

3dm11.png

My score is really bad I think and this could be the issue I think...

Should I send it back? Should I contact Dell support?

I mean.. I am a student and my 2300 € laptop seems to be broken.

Any help is appreciated!