Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mike_nbr, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Andre Mulder

Andre Mulder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update: Sorry guys found the post referred to by GoNzO, rolled back the driver and prevented updating.. waiting for a working driver for now. Seems to work fine for now.

I'm suffering the same issues, not seen a post as GoNzO refers to as last weeks news. I have reinstalled older versions but can't seem to get rid of the issue. Which version of the Nvidia driver do you have? This is turning me mad grr... Help is very much appreciated!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Gix

Gix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Damn, after four days with no problems, today I experienced the first freeze with the 2.2 version. Before coming back to Samsung's 2.0, I will try the Windows' native driver.

3. woodypower

woodypower Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I just got the time to reinstall my XPS 9550. I put on a new Windows 10 1703 Enterprise MSDN image. After installation, I started to install all the newest drivers from Dells Support site. Everything went well but after I updated Toshiba XG3 Solid State Drive Firmware Update version 57DC4102 I started getting bluescreens 5-10 min after I booted my computer. I tested with both RAID and AHCI. I also reset the BIOS and installed factory image from Dell. Same problem.
    I found this topic from today:
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20009868
    So I'm not the only one with the problem. I made a response but Dell needs to approve.

DON'T install Toshiba XG3 Solid State Drive Firmware Update version 57DC4102 and if you already have please let me know if you got problems. :)

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Before anyone replies with advice he has a dedicated thread going so point replies there :)

5. Ing_Imperator

Ing_Imperator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I've got problems with my often enough freshly installed XPS 15 9550.

1. Windows 10 x64 1703
    2. Drives configuration: M.2 Only (512GB Stock SSD)
    3. Latest BIOS (1.2.21)
    4. BIOS mode: AHCI, but now turned off SATA entirely
    5. not installed Samsung NVMe Drivers

I have some random Bugs with the System, for example the Keyboard stops working (But rest is working) or the whole PC gets incredibely slow or almost unresponsive, even when CPU/RAM/SSD Loads are at 0%. Then, for example, i can't press "Windows+D" or the Shortcut in the Taskbar to Show the Desktop doesn't work.
    Do I have a defective machine or are those "normal" Problems? I will try again with installed Samsung Drivers, but i don't have any hope to get this Laptop to work flawessly anytime soon.
    Sorry for my bad english, i'm from Germany.

6. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think disabling sata in bios caused weird issues like the keyboard not working. I would do the 2.0 samsung drivers and see what happens. XPS 9560s are having issues like you describe where the laptop runs at a snails pace, putting new intel drivers fixed that.

7. Ing_Imperator

Reputations:
    Thank you! So i will re-enable SATA and perform a new clean install. Do you really mean the 2.0 Samsung Drivers? Not the newest 2.2?
    Which Intel Driver do you mean?

8. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Many users have issues with samsung drivers newer than 2.0 on the PM951/SM951/950 Pro.

I use the latest ones listed on Intel's website, I think they are from 3/27 or something like that without issue. It's not likely your problem, but I'd try it.

You don't have to do a clean install if you enable sata, your drive will still be in AHCI mode.

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Is this when you are using chrome or have chrome open?

10. Ing_Imperator

Reputations:
    Ok, but do you mean the Intel graphics Driver or the chipset Driver? the graphics Driver won't let install it on this on the machine because of System incompatibilty (it says i have a custom Laptop and have to use the Dell Driver?

If you meant me: I don't use Chrome, only use Edge.