Dell XPS 15 9500 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by wecaz, Jan 17, 2021.

1. inteks

inteks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. inteks

inteks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    PS: one question... Is it worth replacing the thermal paste?

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's not an amazing drop, but it does go down and it does reduce the fan use.

4. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the fans kick in by watching YouTube?

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  5. 100won

100won Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    10875h did undervolt core 180 cache 80, tpl 40w/60w/40s. Fans don't run when i'm watching youtube.

6. waqqas31

waqqas31 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How is everyone finding the battery life? I'm coming from an XPS 13 9350 i5-6200U and I'm finding my 9500's battery life almost atrocious.

My config:
    i7-10875 (8-core)
    4K touch screen
    2 x nvme SSDs (SK Hynix 256GB + Intel 670p 1TB)

Other than on standby, the battery life just tanks. I'm barely getting 2 hours of normal use from full to empty. If I do anything more than simple use, it tanks even faster. (Dell's power optimization app reported battery health to be 100%, btw.)

How is everyone else with the 10875 faring with battery life?

I also find the palm rest to be quite warm.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

pressing likes this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is rotten battery life. Heating the palm rest takes a lot of energy.

You might try enabling Intel "Speed Shift" and setting EPP quite high to reduce CPU temps (the range typically is either 0-255 or 0-100). On your laptop there might be a switch in the BIOS to enable then the EPP settings are in the Windows Power Options. You might have a different Power Option on Battery so check that.

You might be able to undervolt the CPU, iGPU, adjust EPP, etc with free ThrottleStop software. They have some great tips on the ThrottleStop thread to remove background processes to get c0% below 1%.

Reducing the screen brightness will help a bit. You may be able to undervolt the nvidia GPU also.

Consider a clean install of Windows, removing all Dell's bloatware, remove other bloatware, remove unused programs, reduce number of programs at startup and in the background.

You can easily reduce fan speed with Dell Command | Power Manager (only Dell software I am running).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

waqqas31 and Papusan like this.
  8. waqqas31

waqqas31 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks!

Before I head down this road, do you have a similar config and if so, what kind of battery life are you getting?

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

pressing likes this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ran older XPS laptops 9550 & 9560 (6th & 7th gen) and those got 6+ hours on batteries. Followed that basic config. I don't know why it would be much different on your laptop although the newer CPUs probably can't undervolt very much as Intel was squeezing as much performance out of these old CPUs as possible (also Dell might have locked undervolting out but you can get around that if you like).

Undervolting a Skylake CPU -180mv makes a world of difference. A -50mv undervolt on newer chips is not so drastic.

Actually I ran EPP around 80 (that permits CPU max turbo clocks on those CPUs; that varies by CPU so just requires a bit of trial and error).

Your 10th gen Intel laptop is significantly revised but still runs the old 14nm CPU, very similar to the old Skylake 6th gen. Still a very good CPU and laptop. Good luck.

waqqas31 likes this.