Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 9575 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, May 11, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Debatable to ask a cpu at this day and age to run at it's turbo? I guess we will differ in our terms there.

I haven't decided if I will keep it or not. If it had 16gb of ram I would probably keep it, but I feel like I over paid for what I got. I typically don't return many laptops, I usually use them for a couple of months or more then sell them and try something else.

2. bvbz

bvbz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How are the fans treating you? I was just putting my hands on one in Best Buy and decided to do one last look at what people are saying about their experiences and excessive fan noise when charging at no load was a frequent complaint?

Leaning 9575 over the GS65 (look and feel wise I just don't love it...) but fans that are mentally unstable is a deal breaker...

3. custom90gt

Reputations:
    So the fans aren't too bad as long as you're not doing anything strenuous with it. I was worried because I had the crazy fans with charging but the bios update 1.1.1 fixed it for me and the couple times that I've charged it since I haven't had that issue.

For the most part the laptop is super quiet and the fan profiles are totally reasonable. When really using it they spin up like mad.

4. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interestingly enough, Dell just released 1.1.1 BIOS again with a 21 May date of release. I wonder what happened with it? I also see the BIOS mentions eGFX docks and improved performance. Wonder what that means.

Thanks for all your answers - it still sounds like mostly a winner. Cool, relatively quiet for everyday tasks (light computing), great screen (saw a YT video of the 1080P version, and the colors looked great). BUT, now that the Matebook X is launching for a steal....I'm wondering again. DAMMIT TECH WORLD

custom90gt likes this.
  5. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I only see a MX150 version of the laptop, is there something with more gpu behind it?

6. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not really comparing the raw CPU/GPU power of the 9575 to the Huawei, but rather just looking at an option over my current Macbook Pro 13.

As stated before, I use an external graphics dock (eGPU) with my Macbook Pro, but it's quite the hacked setup and requires full shutdown and reboot to get it functioning. Thus I've been looking at alternate windows machines that would work well with an eGPU.

I would have just picked up the older 9560, but the 2 lane TB3 port held me back. The 9575 looks like a great companion, but could be tricky because of the AMD/nVidia conflict. However, Notebookcheck got the same eGPU box as I own working with the 9575 so I should be ok (at least on an external display).

The Huawei just looks like a great price for a gorgeous MBP clone with a better screen (touch plus aspect ratio). It has a 4 lane TB3 port as well, so it could very well meet my desire, while being more compact and portable the XPS15 2-in-1.

Sorry, this is off topic though from this specific thread.

7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    So I did notice that my 960 Pro runs much hotter than in my 9560 and even 7373. Turns out there is gore tex on the bottom cover where the thermal pad for the SSD makes contact (kind of defeats the purpose of having thermal pad connecting the SSD to the cover). I realize it helps the bottom temps, but at the expense of the SSD... It idles at 35C and easily gets up to 45C. In my 9560 it idled at around 25C and I don't think I ever saw temps above 35C. If I keep the laptop I'm going to have to find a replacement bottom cover to fix all the things that Dell messed up... At least the SSD is still fast, lol.

CDM 960 Pro.PNG

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    More stupid engineering.

9. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah, in all honesty I didn't even look the first time I had it apart. I figured "nah they wouldn't do something so stupid as to insulate the thing they are trying to cool with the thermalpad..."

10. lewdvig

lewdvig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is the Gore for insulation or dissipation? I thought it was the latter.