Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 9575 benchmarks + temps

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, May 11, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Intel has new Vega drivers listed on their website. I'll give them a shot. I hope it fixes the 1 second pause that I get when I open new browser tabs or when clicking on the battery icon.

*on edit*
    False alarm, even though they are dated today it is the same driver as the NUC uses.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. badsteve

badsteve Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im returning mine because of how ridiculously hot the bottom of the laptop gets. Just watching videos - I cant possibly use this on my lap.

3. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Are you gaming with it on your lap or something? I guess I don't do real intense stuff with it on my lap so it stays nice and cool.

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Also so far I haven't had any luck increasing the TDP limits with XTU. I've tried slowly raising short and long power limits in increments of 5 but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I may have to disable dell dynamic platform drivers and see where I end up.

pressing likes this.
  5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you run ThrottleStop at the same time? Actually you should probably not run ThrottleStop and XTU at the same time as they keep fighting each other rewriting in registry.

I think ThrottleStop only writes to 2 registeries on TDP limit (so does not work on the XPS in this area) whilst XTU might have access to (all?) 3.

Intel XTU settings are (somewhat) persistent even after turning off the laptop (unless you reset, uninstall XTU or there is some Windoze crash etc). So if you set XTU just one day but only run ThrottleStop afterwards, you probably want the settings mirrored in both programs.

My point here is if you are using ThrottleStop make sure TDP settings are the same as they are in XTU. And don't run the programs at the same time. Also make sure to increase short & long times. . .

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    No I'm not running them at the same time. I'm only running XTU right now to test raising the Power Max levels.

2-3 seconds after the GPU is turned on it goes into power limiting and throttles down (by 600mhz). I've tried small increments in power max but that doesn't make any difference.

Also messing around with stock voltages, the laptop will only run the CPU at 2400mhz. That is 1ghz off of what it could/should be running at for those people that don't think throttling would effect anything real world. I suppose a 30% drop in performance doesn't mean anything though. The i7 will be even worse mind you.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    pressing likes this.
  7. badsteve

badsteve Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just watching Netflix. I wouldnt expect this to heat it up unbearably - but it does. Ridiculous

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Humm, sadly I'm not a netflix user so I can't test it out. What were you doing? 4K videos? I will try some later to see if I have similar issues.

9. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My deal breakers on the other laptops:

GS65 - really close to picking this one, but it's still over 2 grand (and I would get the 1070 version to make the 144mhz screen worth it), and has sub 6 hour battery life, poor build quality, and Dave Lee said it's terrible to get to the internals.

Aero 15X - looks fantastic, still costs over 2 grand, and is loud as hell from the NBC reviews. Poor availability in the US, so I imagine support is atrocious.

9570 - I don't need 6 core - I'm not doing encodes, and the gaming difference is negligible. Dell also completely removed any mention of gaming for the 9570 in it's product description, whereas the 9575 features the term gaming prominently.

The 2018 Spectre x360 (non Vega) could be a great eGPU system, but last year they capped TB3 to 2 lanes, and I'm betting it's the same, plus it's even larger 2-in-1 than the 9575.

My ideal vision with the 9575 is hot-swap eGPU capable machine with a 15" screen ideal for media and games. I'll use the eGPU at home (so then the internal CPU can be at full power, and disable the Vega chip) - that should run cool and quiet. But on the road, I can take the 9575 and still play most of my game library (especially the many lesser intense titles) without issue. The 2-in-1 form factor seems nice for flexibility in media consumption.

When I use the eGPU on my Macbook, it works very well, and MBP barely turns the fans on - but that two core CPU and 8gb of ram does get in the way, especially when I want to play Battlefield 1. I considered the 15" but damn, $2400 is just a lot of cash. At that point, I would pick up the Surface Book 2 again.

Sorry for the spam - it's off topic here

10. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This doesn't make any sense - no laptop, even old one's I've used have issues playing Netflix. I should say my experience with the Netflix Windows Store app has been less than ideal. Have you tried just using edge to interact with Netflix?