dell xps 13 vs. 13 inch MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Virus4762, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Virus4762

Virus4762 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell XPS 13:
    • 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10710U 6-Core Processor 1.10GHz
    • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 RAM
    • 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive
    • 13.3" Touchscreen 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge Anti-Reflective Display
    https://www.costco.com/dell-xps-13-...u---4k-ultra-hd---gold.product.100516231.html

MacBook Pro (13 inch one):
    • 1.4GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    • 128GB SSD storage
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch

Both of these are the exact same price of $1299 (The Dell is on sale at my local Costco right now). I know basically nothing about computers. I feel like the Apple would be better but people are always going on about how Apple products aren't worth the price - that you're just "paying for the logo" so I'm actually not sure if it'd really be the better option. Can anyone give an opinion? What would the best laptop to buy at this price point (I basically just run multiple stock trading platforms on my laptop and always keep dozens of internet tabs open at once so I would want a laptop that would be able to run multiple stock trading platforms at once while dozens of internet tabs are open without slowing down)? Thanks.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Dell has better specifications for the money, especially RAM; for running multiple apps, the more RAM you have the smoother the computing experience will be. The LPDDR3 memory isn't upgradeable in either notebook, so you are stuck with what it comes with.

That said, $1,299 might be a lot of money for a machine that does what you need it to do. You might want to fill out our FAQ so we can recommend something specific.

Charles

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    XPS all the way. Main reason, Its not a macbook. Buying a macbook, you essentially buy into apples entire propaganda machine. Meaning, you use what they tell you to use. If you want to use something else, you have to jump through 20 rings of fire backwards blindfolded. With the XPS you run windows, where you can use what YOU want to use. Easy and no fuss.

4. Virus4762

Virus4762 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Example?

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think what they're trying to say is Apple has a more limited ecosystem on the PC side of things, so sometimes when you use a low volume software, there's no Mac option or equivalent available. I don't know what's involved with stock trading. If it uses specialized software, it may be worth looking into to see if there's a Mac version of the software. If it's just browser based, either will to it without sweating. I'd agree with Charles, the more multitasking you to and tabs you have open, increasing the memory would be most advantageous.

If you're willing to open up to other options, the ThinkPad X390 might be worth a look. It's a solid business class notebook. It looks like you can configure one right now on Lenovos website with low watt quad core 512GB SSD, 16GB of memory and FHD IPS screen for a little over $1,000.

As always when buying a notebook, it pays to look in the manufacturer outlet. It would appear you can buy the same MacBook Pro for $200 less in the Apple clearance section. Most outlet items are returns offered with a nice discount, 15% in the case of the MBP. I have personally bought in the outlets from HP, Dell, Apple and Lenovo. They always look new(unless marked scratch and dent), though sometimes you don't get the fancy packaging or there's a refurb sticker on the bottom, which is easily pealed off.

I know the XPS from Costco with four year warranty if paying with Citi card looks good, but most Citi cards extend the warranty two years, for a total of three, regardless of where you buy it. I used it year ago to get my HP fixed. By year four, most people are looking for a new machine anyways. Good Luck.

6. atc9001

atc9001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    WARNING!!!! the macbook pro you cannot upgrade the hard drive or RAM!!!! you're stuck with what they give. That being said, I'd have to research the XPS because dell may be moving that way too. I was looking into laptops for my mother in law who just really wanted a mac and needs 512gb min (probably 1TB long run and the only way is pay apple 10x what it would cost to buy an m.2 drive to upgrade...

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Support is my biggest issue with macbooks. They eventually stop supporting software upgrades. At least with windows based systems....YOU decided when you get a new system, NOT the manufacturer. I use my own devices. My acer 7720 bought in 2007 is running the latest version of windows 10. While my macbook 13" white is running an outdated OSX version where Apple will not even allow me to download software from the store that I purchased for hundreds of dollars. The reason I use apple phones, is the same reason I would never use an apple computer. Support. I know I get 5 years of software updates on my iphone compared to 1 maybe 2 years of updates on android.

Overall the xps is just a better system anyways. The macbook line is the same system with an added useless touchbar since say 2009.

8. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You couldn't be more wrong lol

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    NOPE, Im right. Even the "new" macbook air? a core i3 for 999. thats laughable. What a friggin rip off.

They used the same aluminium chassis design since the macbook 13 from 2008. They reluctantly updated the inner working when pretty well forced by users buying new macbooks year after year only to find the same old stuff in them. Apple is the biggest rip off of tech. but the suckers eat it up.

10. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I won't deny they're a rip off at this current point in time, but configured spec for spec, the MBA is only $50 more than the competing XPS with an arguably better screen (2560x1600 vs 1920x1200), arguably better support, arguably better trackpad, and a much better ecosystem where it all just works.

Just look at the support they have, still supporting the 2012 MB's with the newest versions of MacOS (officially, all MB's 2008 and up can run it unofficially)