Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Review & Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. og1996

og1996 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having the same problem...none of the two+ finger gestures work with the new trackpad drivers (though some three finger gestures make me feel better about the two finger gestures not working) :p

Joking aside, the finger tracking and palm detection are spot on in the new drivers. I haven't had a single problem with window refocusing or double letters since the update yesterday...everything else seems broken: scrolling areas, gestures, two finger clicking, etc. If I try to scroll using the scroll areas, the pointer will lock up for 5 or so seconds, then replay everything I did to the trackpad while it was frozen (which makes the mouse pointer seem oddly possessed). Touching the trackpad rapidly while its in this paused state will send streams of keyboard characters to the active widow (literaly character garbage).

I thought my problem might be related to Windows 8 CTP, so I wiped the system and restored it to the factory Win7....same behavior.

I have a tiny Bluetooth mouse that I use now with the laptop; the trackpad issue is the only insurmountable negative to this otherwise wonderful ultrabook.

2. mkslive

mkslive Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 2 finger scrolling was actually working in Windows 7. Tried it before I installed Windows 8.
    2 finger horizontal scrolling is working. But not vertical. Strange.

3. magnuers

magnuers Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone else having problems with tap-to-click after installing the new touchpad drivers? The main problem is that it sometimes fail to register my tap, and I end up having t tap 3-5 times before anything happens. This is a serious problem to me, since this in my most frequently used input method.

4. nipun_jain

nipun_jain Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I mentioned this a page or two ago. This especially happens if you are tapping in the palm sensitive areas defined in Cypress settings, so I try to avoid tapping there. But still, this is a big downer for me!

5. magnuers

magnuers Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did not see that, thanks! I usually tap in the middle of the trackpad, so the palm rejection should not cause this problem. I have no problems with the whole trackpad being unresponsive for 5-8 secs, just the tapping not responding. Yes, big downer. I would rather have a 2 finger scroll working poorly than this problem, so I guess it's back to the 15z drivers. :(

6. smckenna

smckenna Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    New trackpad drivers installed. Two-finger scrolling smooth as butter, and tap-clicking seems to work flawlessly. Palm rejection also working well!
    Thank you DELL!!

7. smckenna

smckenna Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This tip is for anyone using a USB connected Mobile-Broadband device...
    I just discovered why my Internet connection kept locking up, and it has to do with the Advanced Power Options, USB Settings, Selective Suspend Setting. Had to change both "On Battery" and "Plugged in" from "Enabled" to "Disabled" to prevent the laptop from putting the device into a low-power standby state!
    My Internet connection has been rock solid ever since!

8. adenoski

adenoski Newbie

Reputations:
    reporting in on the latest trackpad drivers. I had two finger scrolling and two finger tap (which acts as a right click) working decently with the old xps 15z drivers. This new version makes the two finger scrolling very smooth in comparison, however I am unable to get two finger tap click to work. I've gone into the registry to ensure that TwoFingerRightTapClickEnabled is set to 1, as well as TwoFingerRightTapClickGui also set to 1.

Two finger tap does nothing. :( anyone else experiencing this same thing? Love the two finger scrolling though, it's much better in this version.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm hoping to join this camp of users once the Ivy Bridge and higher res screen debut, hopefully it's like the 1080p matte IPS display of the new ux31's!

10. rzims

rzims Newbie

Reputations:
    day 2 - installed the new touchpad drivers and all works as its suposed to.
    I'm really happy with this thing so far....now just have to finish moving all my files over from the old laptop....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.