Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Review & Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Feb 28, 2012.

1. supertwister

supertwister Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1440x900 and 1600x900 would have the same "size", only the aspect ratio would be different. And you can always increase the size of icons and font, they'll just be of higher resolution. (think iPhone 4 instead of 3GS, the icons did not become smaller...) With 16:9, you'll have more horizontal space though, vertical resolution being equal.

2. jjchang

jjchang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was really worried when I was researching the xps 13 right before it came out and read all over the place that the battery was subpar compared to other ultrabooks - battery life is very important to me. If you look at the charts on the hothardware link that alphadog00 posted, it says this:

"As you can see, the XPS 13 really sips power under light workloads in the web browsing test, besting the 12-inch Zenbook by a wide margin. However, it also loses by a fairly significant margin under worst case conditions with Battery Eater Pro." -http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Dell-XPS-13-Ultrabook-Review/?page=7

Having used my xps13 for a few weeks now, it's definitely true. As long as you're just doing light stuff like web browsing, streaming, word processing, etc., it just sips power and makes it last. And honestly, if you're going to game with this laptop or video edit or something power intensive, I'd just plug it in.

3. pusta

pusta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So interesting somewhat related question. Has anyone tried to game on this notebook? What plays well/doesn't?

4. alphadog00

alphadog00 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Suggestion i have not seen mentioned - get rid of the 2 level back light for keyboard and just go with the lower level. It is plenty bright in pitch black, and if there is light, then no need for a bright keboard - it is not like the screen where you need high backlight in sunshine.

Maybe some people have other vision issues, but i would be happy to just tell the keyboard backlight to either be off, or at half strength.

Just a thought.

5. jjchang

jjchang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've only installed starcraft 2 on mine and played it a bit. It works just fine on low/medium settings - which is pretty much the default settings it starts up with. Of course, the fan gets going and it gets a bit warm, but nothing too crazy.

6. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Any chance of this thing being used outside in sunlight? Or is the screen just too reflective for that?

8. clintre

clintre Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have been away for this week on vacation, so I was able to test this scenario out quite a bit. Used it in the car on the way to Florida and back to Austin. Had a few times where the glare did get me. I used it outside in sunny weather and again there were times that I could not see a thing. A less shiny option would be nice, but I have to say the one thing this machine has over most of the competitors is a really bright screen. When I was outside I turned the brightness all the way up and I was able to work on it.

9. gustkiller

gustkiller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    O hope it plays diablo 3 on low/medium.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

10. supertwister

supertwister Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: