Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Review & Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    XPS has some big things coming up. Stay tuned. :)

I haven't delved into the issue much yet, but the first theory I'd have to prove/disprove is whether that constant activity is the result of polling for the extra finger for multi-gesture input. Could be wildly wrong. Just starting to wonder about this. I will ask the touch pad architecture engineers when I get a chance.

2. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    I'll send you a PM with my Dell email address. Would you mind emailing me your service tag, please? The quality engineer is working this fan issue and is looking at service stock of heat sink and fan part numbers. She's wondering which part number you got. We can see it from the dispatch notes by looking at the service tag. Thanks in advance.

Also, if anyone gets a heat sink replaced, could you post back the part number and results? This isn't a call to call up and get heat sinks replaced. Before (and even IF) we do something like that, we need some time to work through supply logistics, but this is waaaaay cart before the horse at this stage. BIOS A03 should improve some of the situations you guys are describing.

3. clintre

clintre Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Bill

Is the an eta on A03? While A02 improved the fan a bit, it is still not there yet.

4. noced

noced Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought the Dell XPS 13, and the touchpad is terrible. I've updated it to 2.3.6.26 (taken from the XPS 15z downloads page) and there is no improvement.

1. Two finger scrolling works for two swipes and then it doesn't.
    2. Tap to click almost never works on the first tap.
    3. I can't click with the buttons if I have a finger in contact with the touchpad.
    4. Sometimes, even regular one finger navigation gets wonky.

5. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Oh c'mon now. You've gotta give us a little bit more than that!

6. clintre

Reputations:
    Have you checked the touchpad settings?

Mine works really good after the driver update and changing the settings to fit me.

You can change things like tapping speed and such to customize the way the tap to click works for you..

7. noced

Reputations:
    After some messing around (back on the original driver), it's working. Not like magic or butter smooth, but acceptable.

Although before it got to this stage, it gave me quite a wild spin. This was what I was prepared to post:
    At this point I reinstalled the original driver.
    I adjusted the scrolling speed (with vertical scrolling width enabled) a few more times and finally got one that didn't making my page jump all over the place. It seems weird that 2-finger scrolling works without these "scrolling widths" enabled, yet something related to scrolling, like the speed, requires the enabling of these "scrolling widths".

Edit: While typing this post I noticed that the " character is delayed in appearance, and any key pressed after that (like spacebar) is not registered. Can someone else test this please? Try tapping a key repeatedly at a fast pace. Then try taping the " key at the same pace. For me, the " key appears at almost half the actual tapping speed. Sometimes, it doesn't appear at all until another key is pressed.

8. clintre

Reputations:
    @noced

Yeah not seeing a delay at all on mine.

9. noced

Reputations:
    What scrolling speed do you guys use for the touchpad? And what does the tiny scroll bar icon at the cursor mean? I'm still having some trouble with the touchpad scrolling. It's extremely jerky and stops after a few swipes then it starts up again and scrolls a whole lot. :( I'm complaining so much I might as well return the damned thing.

10. heavyharmonies

heavyharmonies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dain bramaged question:

I know that there's a fan in the XPS 13, but none of the utilities I've tried (Speccy, Speedfan, Open Hardware Monitor) can find a fan, let alone report the speed of it.

Is that because the BIOS doesn't support reporting that information, lack of a sensor, or?....

I was hoping to quantify the rev-up/down/sideways stages of the fan more than just using audible cues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.