Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Review & Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harry_young12

harry_young12 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a XPS 13 L322X and post a recent SSD upgrade to a Samsung 840 EVO I've noticed that my battery life has really deteriorated. I now only get about 3 hrs out of a full charge doing normal websurfing / office apps etc. I think the reason for this that the samsung ssd seems to use more power than my previous crucial. This leads me to two questions:

1. Does anyone know if the 55Wh battery out the XPS 13 9333 can be retrofitted to a L322X? I'm hoping this will restore some of my battery life.

2. The new SSD gets very hot - the laptop is too hot to run on my lap comfortably. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I might be able to "spread" the heat (I've already tried cleaning the cooling fan etc)

I'd really appreciate any ideas forum members have.

2. OverBurn

OverBurn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I replaced the problematic Centrino N 6230 wireless card with a $30 Bigfoot Networks Killer N-1202 card off of eBay. Blazing fast file transfers, connects instantly at boot up, Works perfect.

3. iatrou

iatrou Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Which is better finally, the i7 or the i5 model? I see that the i5 model has much superior screen and a better ssd, while the improvement from i7 is only 10-11%.

4. maupertius

maupertius Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got an XPS 13 with Windows 8.1. Does anyone have a bluetooth mouse to recommend that can be used with the laptop's bluetooth?

5. siouxchief

siouxchief Newbie

Reputations:
    Very confused here guys. I have seen the reviews on the XPS 13 so wanted to buy one. They seem reasonable on amazon but not available now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00ZEWPDII/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

but now I have been told that this version 9343-8913 is old and no longer being produced when chatting to dell online and they pointed me to this page with 3 laptops which are a lot more expensive

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd

i dont want something super powerful so if the old XPS 13 had the same look and feel as the new more expensive ones Id prefer the old 9343-8913, is this the case?

Could someone explain this to me as I am a bit confused. If anyone knows somewhere in the UK that actually has the 9343-8913 in stock id be very interested. Hope the above makes sense.

Thanks

6. jonaev

jonaev Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    recently I've bought Dell XPS 31 L321X and observed that cpu temperatures are quite high, even during some light tasks like browser opened with only 3 tabs or checking something in the control panel. I am aware that this is an ultrabook with small place for air for proper cooling and cpu (i7 2nd generation) can be power consuming, but I don't think that temperatures from 70 to 80 degrees are ok...I've read here that with the latest bios version temperatures during normal work can stay at max 70 degrees, but this post was 4 years ago so maybe there is something wrong with thermal paste between cpu and radiator...Does anyone still uses L321X and can provide me with some ideas how to keep this laptop quiet and cool?
    Thanks for answer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.