Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Review & Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dzyur

Dzyur Newbie

Reputations:
    Btw, does anyone know if you can permanently turn off the led light at the front? It gets annoying when watching movies ...

2. deltatype

deltatype Newbie

Reputations:
    hello everybody,

I bought a dell xps 13 developer edition last month and I'm having some issues with the display. There are some screen backlight bleeding problems especially in the right corner of the display, as you can se in the picture attached (these can be seen with a black background and high level of backlight (fn+F5)).

After technical support my display was changed 2 times and both displays show white spots almost in the same position. So I think this is a common problem and I would like to ask you guys if you can see the same spots in your display.

Dell said to me they will replace my ultrabook with a new one but I expect that the new one will still have this problem. I don't know what to ask or expect from Dell because they continue to say that they haven't found this problem on other PCs... WP_001125_mod_2.jpg

3. noastick

noastick Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys.
    I'm new here but I wanted some advice from you.
    I am really interested in this ultrabook. Mainly because of it's design. But I live in Argentina and the model that has arrived here is the L332X (with the 720p display, i5 3317U). Should I still buy it? I've read that it is slighty noisy and that the trackpad is not good.
    Those who have tried that model or have one, what do you say? Oh, and I don't have much better options here to buy unfortunately, but I don't want to make a bad decision.
    Thanks!

4. flatsix911

flatsix911 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. adamw2k

adamw2k Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone ever had an issue with this machine turning off unexpectedly? Unit is about 4 months old (L322X with i7-3687), extremely clean Win8x64 install with minimal usage. All of a sudden started turning off mid-use the past few days - almost as if the power is getting cut. Happens both on and off battery within a few hours of starting to use (not consistent). Nothing obvious showing in the event log and nothing new installed/upgraded. Not looking forward to the part replacement brigade =)

Thanks a million!

6. Tseng

Tseng Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @adamwk2

No, I don't have any of the shut down you mentioned.
    Probably needs to replace maniboard.

7. LAURENTE

LAURENTE Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I own an L322x with i7-3517U processor , 8 gb ram, 256 ssd, but the display is the one with 13,3 1366/768 - unfortunatelly. I was wondering if I can replace it with the full HD one ?

8. LAURENTE

LAURENTE Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anybody has recovery disk for Dell XPSL322X ?

9. OverBurn

OverBurn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll tell you guys the screwed up history of my XPS13-9001SLV (L321X). I've had it for 2 years now, when Dell hasn't been working on it or screwing it up more.

First thing was the wireless would not connect at N speeds, it would take 15 minutes to transfer a 1GB file, should have been about 60 seconds, got that fixed finally.

Then the SSD hard drive died. They replaced the hard drive.

Then the screen started going bad. It would get all distorted and go partially black and white. Tap it with your finger it would come back, sometimes, sometimes a reboot would fix it. They sent a tech out to replace the screen. They sent the wrong screen, (antenna wires had a different end). Had to sent it back to Dell. Mindbogglingly they replaced the wrong freaking part (perfectly working wireless card instead of the bad screen) :mad: They all so wiped the hard drive, when they were not suppose to. Not a huge deal, just extremely annoying and a lot more work for me.

Had to send it back again, this time they replaced the correct part (screen), but the wireless was back to not working correctly AGAIN. Also two screws were missing from the bottom carbon fiber cover and the holes were freaking stripped out, almost all of them, who works on these things? Also there was a gouge in the aluminum bezel around the palm rest. :mad: The laptop was pristine before I sent it in. I call, they said that the warranty has now ran out, after arguing with several idiots on the phone telling them it ran out while in THEIR possession and THEY damaged it.

It finally came back with everything fixed but the wireless is still dialup slow, like it was when it was new. I talked to them again, they say they have no record of a tech coming to my house (just 2 months) ago and that they did not replace the wireless card, no record of it being sent back that time, but they have records of everything else. Even though I have emails communicating with them about it, the paper in the box said they replaced the wireless card and the MAC address is now different. They say it's a software problem and I need to reinstall the OS, could not make them under stand I imaged the drive, when it was working correctly, put the image back on it. I have the same router setup so it should work exactly the same. After arguing some more they are sending a tech back out.

I've bought Dell desktops and laptops since 1995, to many to count, never had any trouble, till now. I'm so tired of talking to people I can barely understand and so tried of the complete incompetence. I'm done with Dell.

10. ranjan83

ranjan83 Newbie

Reputations:
    A number of posts have mentioned disabling various options in advanced power management, intel graphics drivers and so on.

The only definitive solution to this problem (rather than disabling various options) is to go windows service and disable the sensor service.

Do the following:

1. Press "Windows Key + R" to open the command menu.
    2. Type "services.msc" and press enter
    3. Scroll through the list of services and look for "sensor monitoring service"
    4. Permanently "Disable" the service.

The "sensor monitoring service" may be used for multiple sensors, but most Dell Laptops have a ambient light sensor that dynamically changes the screen contrast and brightness. This is the only sure way to disable it.

If the text on the web browser doesn't look sharp, using "clear type text" option may help, but the only solution that seems to work definitely is the following.

Look for "FontSmoothingGamma" in the registry and change the value to 400 decimal (or hex 190).

1. Press "Windows Key + R" to open the command menu.
    2. Type "regedit" and press enter
    3. Type CTRL+F and search for "FontSmoothingGamma"
    4. Double click on the registry entry and change value to decimal 400 or hex 190.
    5. Close regedit
    6. logoff and login

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.