Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Review & Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphadog00

alphadog00 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just an FYI, after calibrating my system to respond better to my battery, it is back to dropping to 92% as soon as i unplug the laptop.

2. todders

todders Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a quick update on the dell uk site there is a number of new updates dated the 5-04-12 including new touchpad,network,sound & graphics drivers plus a few others.

3. clintre

clintre Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Bill

Ok, so I am looking at the updates that have the "new" date and several of them have not changed from the previous versions with sever saying in the description that it is the "initial version".

Some that are saying initial version are really crack headed and have stuff listed under "previous versions" for other drivers/software.

This is getting confusing.

4. todders

Reputations:
    Yes i agree total confusion now, with driver updates. havent a clue now whats changed and what hasn`t.

5. pusta

pusta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bill,

Any word on updated audio drivers anytime soon? I am on the release version and have the headphone issues, but I've read the current version has a lower max volume, so I'm hesitant to upgrade.

6. todders

Reputations:
    Yes the ones currently showing even with the release date of 05-04-12 lower the volume considerably.

7. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    No clue what's going on with the downloads page right now. I just sent a note to the appropriate folks to get the word on what's going on. No updates on the audio drivers at this time.

8. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    Update:

Nothing of substance to add just yet, but one thing that I was told about regarding the incorrect web post dates is that is a known issue. We know the root cause and are looking into how to change the dates.

Also of note, awareness of this issue has reached way up the chain. We will solve this as quickly as possible. I'll be providing substantive updates as they become available.

One thing to get cleared up: No files currently posted will cause any damage to your system. If you prefer to wait to update any drivers while we figure this out, that's understandable.

9. tak!

tak! Newbie

Reputations:
    Can I get some advice on the following problem with my xps 13 please?
    For some reason Windows Memory Diagnostic tool doesn't work.

After telling it to run it asks you to reboot and then it will run before Windows loads. Only this never happens. The screen goes black and freezes there indefinitely (with the fan on max).

The same thing happens if WMD is run from Advanced boot options (i.e. press F8 when the computer starts, then Esc, then TAB).

However the computer passes all the memory tests from the Dell software - i.e. the memory tests run through the "PC Checkup" section of the Dell Support Centre. I note though that these tests include a link to the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, which as I say doesn't work.

Thanks,
    tak!

10. senseiam

senseiam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    *sigh* I just received my xps 13 yesterday, I didn't get a chance to play with it till today and it looks like I have faulty keys too. The first thing I did was go through each key starting from the bottom, was almost home free when I ran into 3 troublesome keys. The Delete/Insert/&F10 on the top row have this almost mouse click type noise coming from them, the F10 is less but it's there, with the Delete/Insert it's very obvious. :(

This is really disappointing as I have yet to really even get a chance to play with this thing.

What would be the turnaround time in getting this fixed? Also will the fix keep the laptop in mint condition? I don't know about a tech opening this up to fix it and leaving behind a scratch or 2. :mad:

Am I worrying for nothing?

Kinda frustrated at the quality control here, are they rushing these out due to demand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.