1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Arrives at CES Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Jerry Jackson, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Pseudorandom

Pseudorandom Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They preclude the use of the notebook on your lap as much as the unibody's MacBook usage of the bottom surface as a heatsink does. It's definitely not recommended for long periods of heavy activity, but it's okay most of the time. I use my X220 on my lap all the time and it has bottom vents.

I don't see TPFC as a selling point for Thinkpads despite its near universal compatibility with Thinkpads.

Having it in the App Store is a good first step. Ideally fan control should be with the other system options be default instead of a third party app. It's fairly useful if you don't like the default fan settings.

Metal > Plastic is an illusion. In reality there are places where metal is superior and places where plastic is superior.

So back to the original point that started this. How is metal superior to CFRP in the base of a notebook? CFRP is lighter and doesn't shove the heat into your lap. Metal is heavier and does. Durability isn't significantly affected by either choice.

2. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So is anyone still talking about the xps 13?

At first I didn't really like it, but seeing it more and more makes me really do a double take.

3. flatsix911

flatsix911 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, it might be coming to big box stores near you. Actually, I suspect that if model does have a B&M retail presence, it might eventually have a B&M retail clearance sale. Remember the Inspiron Duo and the Streak (the tablet, not the Ray Stevens song)? Both launched with a major retail presence and both flopped. Dell's recent track record for product launches has been mixed.

Of course, the fact that the XPS 13 supposedly has a TPM chip makes me wonder if its going to be rebranded as a Latitude? It doesn't make sense to use the XPS brand for sales to enterprise customers, but there again, what makes sense about launching Sandy Bridge/Windows 7 "ultrabooks" when they'll soon have to make way Ivy Bridge/Windows 8 "ultrabooks?"

Under the circumstances, a major retail launch just doesn't make a lot of sense, but it might just happen anyway?

5. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    We have sold a lot of XPS 14z/15z, which are both fairly recent. I wouldn't count Duo and Streak as new product launches.

Rebranding to Latitude won't happen. We're trying to get on the consumerization of I/T curve with this one. We'll see how it goes. If it works out, you might see more of the blending of business and consumer staples. It makes perfect sense to me- if I/T purchasers want to buy them, we'll do our best to work through their requirements. Ivy Bridge UBs won't start hitting until like May (I could look that up, but I'm going by memory), so it doesn't make much sense not to put out something in the category while we wait. I don't think Sandy Bridge is a slouch.

Don't know if it meets the "major retail launch" criteria or not, but we're pretty proud of this platform for many good reasons. We want it on all the retail shelves we can get. Streak was not a major launch by any stretch of the imagination if you go by marketing spend, BTW.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I agree with Bill on not waiting for Ivy Bridge. It'll be months until Ivy Bridge is out; better to get something on the market now and have an update after Ivy Bridge is out. And that way, if there are hiccups with Ivy Bridge at launch, you've got a Sandy Bridge product on the market to keep around for another month or so while Intel sorts Ivy Bridge out.

7. SemiExpert

Reputations:
    Yes, the XPS brand has a surprising amount of equity left and combining the nomenclature of two sub-brands was clever. As far as the XPS 14z/15z, I'm not sure the product itself was entirely compelling.

Not exactly new, and in all fairness, I can't think of a single convertible touchscreen netbook that was a sales success, or a single early Android tablet that was a major success in the same timescale as the Streak.

Consumerization of IT is pretty much an Apple story. Their products might not fit the immediate requirements of IT departments, but corporate IT departments can be outright hostile to the real world requirements of end users.

For Dell, there is an apparent phenomenon of consumers shifting to the Dell Small & Medium Business line and away from Dell Consumer. Why? Let's just say that the sales and support experience from Dell Small Business is a revelation compared to Dell Consumer. The same can be said for perceived product quality and the ability to perform hardware replacements and upgrades - and Dell does apparently ask owners to perform their own hardware replacements on under-warranty systems. Dell sends you the part, you send the defective part back. DIY isn't all that difficult on something like a Latitude E-series but would be very challenging on a number of Dell's consumer systems.

I can't imagine Apple expecting customers to do DIY hardware replacements on under-warranty systems.

It makes sense to combine overlapping product lines. Dell has a huge product range, even though it's far more coherent than some competitors.

I'm sure there are many industrial and marketing considerations when it comes to a late hardware, late OS cycle product launch. OEMs can't just sit around and wait for Wintel.

In contrast, Apple can actually skip the occasional Intel hardware cycle, without any negative concequences, and has its own OS cycle.

It's a lot harder to manage inventories when products are on retail shelves.

In some ways, Dell's original direct sales business model would be more relevant today than stocking the shelves in big box stores.

I don't think that any amount of marketing could have sold early Android tablets, a situation that currently exists for Windows 7 Phones. Microsoft could have sponsored the halftime show and purchased every advertising slot for the last Super Bowl and it probably wouldn't have moved the needle on W7P sales.

Incidentally, how are you enjoying your Dell Venue Pro?

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    tl;dr version: SemiExpert thinks that Apple does everything right and Dell does everything wrong.

9. ggcvnjhg

ggcvnjhg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

It's not crap. It's nothing like the 13.3" in the SA. It's the same panel used in the Z1. I've not once heard it being described as anything less than stellar. Not sure where you've read that.

It's a unique 13.1" panel so I'm truly mystified who would even suggest it's the same panel when nothing could be further from the truth (this is coming from a guy who has relentlessly bashed the 1600x900 in the SA and before that in the Sony CW). Little odd that you keep repeating it as a fact when even by your own admission you've never even seen it.

If you've read my post history, I've gone through 10+ laptops including everyone mentioned here sans the XPS 13 for obvious reasons in the last year alone much less the last decade (what can I say it's a sick hobby). The Z's panel is by far one of the best non-ips' screens on the market.

10. SemiExpert

Reputations:
    Not at all. I was merely reflecting on Dell, without judgement.