1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Arrives at CES Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Jerry Jackson, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator

Reputations:

Today Dell officially took the wraps off its first ultrabook, the Dell XPS 13. Although the XPS 13 shares some design elements with the popular XPS 14z and XPS 15z, this is a completely new laptop with some impressive specs. Keep reading to see more.

<br /><br />Read the full content of this Article: <a href='http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6369&news=dell+xps+13+ultrabook+business+home+consumerization'>Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Arrives at CES</a><br /><br />Related Articles:
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6367'>CES 2012: Samsung Unveils Series 9 Mobile PCs and Series 5 Ultrabooks</a>
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6360'>ASUS Updates Eee PC netbooks, UX21 Ultrabook and Eee Pad Transformer</a>
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6356'>Lenovo Releases Even More New IdeaPad Laptops</a>
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6352'>CES 2012: Sneak Peek and Predictions</a>
    • <a href='http://www.NotebookReview.com/default.asp?newsID=6351'>Lenovo Announces New ThinkPad Edge Laptops for 2012</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015 at 2:39 PM
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Hasn't XPS historically meant "performance" and "multimedia emphasis" for both the XPS laptop lines and the XPS desktop lines? I fail to see much of either in this ultraportable.

3. Jerry Jackson

Reputations:
    Dell will argue that XPS stands for both "premium" and "performance" ... and in the 12-13 ultrabook class this should be a good performer. Aluminum and carbon fiber construction certainly translate into premium.

To take a quote from Dell's press materials about the XPS line, XPS means:
    "Uncompromised form + function, High performance, and Purposeful craftsmanship"

4. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
  5. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    I would have liked to see a 900p screen..... Or at least a better GPU option. I mean, the last SXPS 13 had SLI and the fastest C2D processor.

But, overall it looks sleek! I'd probably get one of these instead of an Air.

6. outerspace9

outerspace9 Newbie

Reputations:
    I second that! A higher resolution would be great!

7. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Something tells me that this laptop's 1366x768 is going to suck just like all 1366x768 screens. I don't get. We're getting 3D, advanced tablet computers, super-thin ultra books, prices up to and over $1000-$2000 for these things, and yet the screens are still crappy. Can't anybody improve that? Or is just because the average user just doesn't care...I mean, the MacBook Air has an excellent screen and I just don't see these other ultra books being able to match it. I'd love to have a Windows/PC ultra book some day, but if the screen sucks, I probably won't want to get it...

8. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You've answered your own question right there, in addition to cutting costs. Your average joe doesn't care if his laptop screen has a 170 degree viewing angle and/or display 95% of AdobeRGB spectrum. Manufacturers will usually go for the bottom of the barrel when it comes to LCD panels, it's just business. To their defense, there is quite a large cost margin in terms of going with a low end panel opposed to a high quality one.

9. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I third this, at least make it a option for those who want a high resolution screen. So far only ASUS offers a ultrabook with a high resolution screen.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    How so? All the ultrabooks have the same performance hardware (i5 ULV + SSD + 4 GB memory).

I'll give you that.

11. oxygen

oxygen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    any word on new latitude notebooks? rumor had it that dell is going the present the EXX30 series.

i'd prefer a 13"-14" Latitude over this XPS13. With all the cool features like docking station port, wwan, dedicated gpu etc

12. REMF

REMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    form-factor and build are exceptional, exactly what i want, but i am not interested until it comes with something better than sandy-bridge graphics.

how soon till we can get an Ivy-bridge update.......... and a 1600x900 screen?

13. Jerry Jackson

Reputations:
    If Dell shows off the the new Latitudes at CES it would be a total surprise ... but a welcome one. I doubt, however, that we'll see new Latitudes until the new Intel CPUs are officially announced and available.

Likewise, we won't see new Nvidia/GeForce and AMD/Radeon GPUs until the new Intel chips are closer to launch.

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Code:

There is an ultrabook out there though: the HP Envy 14 Spectre. HP now has two ultrabooks; the Folio 13 for the business-and-budget minded (budget priced, solid construction, 720p screen), and the Envy 14 Spectre to go head-to-head with the MacBook Air and Asus Zenbook ($1400, but it has a glass trackpad, a 900p screen, and Beats audio).

AnandTech - HP Announces ENVY 14 Spectre Ultrabook

15. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh wow. I didn't see that it had a 900p screen, that's great. :)

16. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
  17. flatsix911

flatsix911 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is why the XPS 13 Ultrabook will be a success ...

18. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I think it's a good approach to the market, though Dell is hardly the only one to be doing it. Thinkpad Edges, higher-end Sonys, HP Folio 13 all spring to mind as business/consumer hybrids. I know for sure I use my Vaio F at work as much as I use it for personal purposes.

19. waja2000

waja2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    no LAN port and Card Reader ?
    that 2 will make some people reject XPS 13.

20. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Oh, come on. No one uses digital cameras or cell phones with micro sd cards anymore.

/end sarcasm