Dell XPS 13 9380 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by arctics, Jan 29, 2019.

1. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
  2. randomA

randomA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Singapore.
    some dell sales agent said that the model was upgradable. did he lie?
    frankly i dont trust these sales agents to know much about the stuff they're selling. that's why i thought about asking here.

3. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    The RAM is not user upgradable. One can only "upgrade" at the factory. This is because the RAM is soldered to the main board. This means the only local retail options are what Dell SG offers.

While this is an older model, the board layout is largely the same (current generation XPS13 additionally solders the wifi package onto the main board).

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Dell+XPS+13+Teardown/36157#s81012

Since the DDR3L RAM chips are BGA packages with 96 balls each, it isn't feasible to hand solder them (nor is any such "upgrade" operation guaranteed to work, since the RAM timings are likely baked into the signed BIOS).

Dell US does change their available SKUs over time, so if Dell SG is similar, you may be able to just wait it out.

randomA likes this.
  4. randomA

randomA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    that really clarifies thanks a lot.

5. Tom44

Tom44 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I'm interested on this notebook but I'm a little worried about the screen form factor. Are the 16:9 bothersome to use with productivity software (ms office, lightroom etc)? I've always used 16:10 or 3:2 monitor but the choice is really small: MS surface models or macbook pro.... Any advice?

Thanks!

6. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    I got used to it rather quickly, (we still have 16:10 monitors at work), but everyone adapts in their own way. Most people at work just didn't notice. Some made the taskbar hideaway, some rotated their monitor vertically!

I think the upcoming XPS13 2in1 is 16:10, too. Might be end of August before that comes out, though. Also a lot of soldered in parts (RAM, WiFi, SSD).

Tom44 likes this.
  7. Tom44

Tom44 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks! Another question: is the SSD encrypted with tpm by default (like MS surface devices)?

8. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, for those waiting for any new info on a new model, well seems like that roadmap was right and a comet lake-U version is coming or at least testing.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13771941

the new cpu is the i7-10510U, cometlake-u, it will be a short lived device since the icelake version is slated for February 2020, so CES 2020 intro most likely.

But from the initial benchmarks of the new icelake development platform, it will not bring significant improvements on the cpu side of things, but graphics are significantly improved, so if you want graphics i'd wait for the icelake device, and improved battery life as well hopefully. Or instead grab the 2in1 icelake xps once that is released. Assuming limited availability will not be an issue.

9. ntjcroll

ntjcroll Newbie

Reputations:
    Bought the XPS 13 9380 model after my good ole Dell Venue 10 gave up the ghost. I got a great deal, or so I thought, through the Dell Outlet with a returned unit (I7 processer, 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD). What is driving me nuts though is the fan turning on when I have only the browser open with 2 tabs. The RAM is at almost 60% usage and CPU at 4%. Then if I look resource monitor the Maximum frequency is jumping all over the place from 60% to over 200%. For what it is worth the keyboard, screen and the build of the laptop (ok well aside from the extremely stiff hinges) is pretty fantastic. However something seems wrong when the machine is under so much strain from running a browser(chrome).

Is this high memory usage normal along with the fan coming on frequently? If it can be fixed through software (ie. a fresh install) then I'll spend the time getting it resolved otherwise I'd prefer to return it and go for something that is fanless and less power. Purpose of this purchase was to have this laptop as my sole PC and to last me the next 4 years.

Any feedback about whether or not I'm seeing normal behaviour for this model would be appreciated. I would prefer to keep it.

10. cEvin_K

cEvin_K Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys ,dont really want to open new thread... 9370 owner here and thinking to buy TB3 EGPU, BUT, the one i am currently looking on ebay ( Akitio Node ) has no extra usb, so just simple box with TB3 cable. but i am using dock WD15 with its own PSU, so wondering what will happen if ill have both eGPU and Dock with their own psu connected at the same time in my laptop ?