Dell XPS 13 9380 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by arctics, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, what's the good word on the 9380 now that it's been out for a while? I'm a bit interested in the base model i5/8gb ram/256 ssd/FHD non touch, but I wonder mainly about two things:

-Battery time on non touch FHD?
    -Coil whine and/or high pitched fan noise?
    -Overall QC? I tried one 9370 at the store and one key was bad. Maybe abuse since it was a demo, but still...

I really want to see the Lenovo Yoga S940, but the new XPS 13 seem very nice tbh.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Defenantly the key issue was because of the demo at the store. You will have no such issue. Unless of course you pound on your keyboard mercilessly. Those demos take a walloping.

3. capobeat

capobeat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I also got a 9380 with ubuntu preinstalled. I tried some different linux distros. For my requirements, Ubuntu Studio performs best with audio applications like bitwig and ardour. Unfortunately, it does not communicate very well with some hardware specific features, it seems. Sleep eats a lot of battery and the computer stays warm. Do you experience the same with preinstalled ubuntu? Does preinstalled ubuntu sometimes upgrade the bios?

4. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    I took the plunge and ordered one as it was 12% off right now.

5. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    And back it went! Horrible coil whine and dead pixels. :-(

Eason likes this.
  6. jhl55

jhl55 Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my 9380 on April (i7, 16gb, 512gb ssd, 4k touch).
    My experience after a month of daily usage:

1. Great display with good color and brightness
    2. Great keyboard and a very responsive touchpad
    3. Thermal is great, no overly high temp on battery but you will get slightly warm with AC plugged in. The fan rarely kicks in unless you run cpu intense tasks.
    4. No coil whines or dead pixels from the laptop
    5. You get a random blackout from the screen for a few seconds but it occurs very very less, but its there.
    6. Less powerful speaker, bass is not enough. (I would say an ipxsmax has even better speaker than the 9380)
    7. Battery is ok, 7-8 hours on average (word, excel, chrome), if you stream videos (1080p), it discharges 15-20% every hour. I usually do everything on Battery Saver mode + 30% brightness only.
    8. The power button has no tactile feedback on my unit which is very hard to press sometimes.
    9. The SSD installed in my unit is not the Samsung PM981 which majority of the 512gb models are, mine is a Toshiba KXG60ZNV. (Do let me know am I the exceptional that receive this drive in my unit or most of you have the same as mine, I am from Malaysia).

7. echelon0911

echelon0911 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got the frost white which I’m really loving it. I’d like to get another USB-C white power adapter/cable but can’t seem to find any for sale by Dell, eBay or Amazon. Any ideas on where to get an OEM white power cable?

8. Muyfa666

Reputations:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0796M6949/ref=twister_B079HK4FH8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Got this (in black) for both my and the wifes laptops. Really good stuff.

9. JuanVega

JuanVega Newbie

Reputations:

It has a very high latency DPC. I bought it for productivity, I'm disappointed.

I saw that DELL corrected the problem on the 15 inch. But not for the 13th at the moment

10. randomA

randomA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    apparently dell does not offer a model with FHD AND 16gb ram. it's either 4k display or 8gb ram.
    does anyone know if, after purchasing the FHD + 8gb ram model, the ram can be upgraded to 16gb ?
    thanks a lot!