Dell XPS 13 9380 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by arctics, Jan 29, 2019.

1. MikeTLB

MikeTLB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anyone please offer more details on the panel used for the FHD matte screen option this year? Is it the same Sharp LQ133M1 as last year? Something like HWinfo can easily show that.

Also, there should be an option to disable the Dynamic Backlight Control in the BIOS, like on the 2018 model. Is it still there?

2. Grasshopper9

Grasshopper9 Newbie

Reputations:
    Been following the thread since January so thanks for the helpful info so far!

I ordered an XPS 9380 which should arrive later this week.

Any recommendations appreciated for:
    - SSD replacements
    - WiFi cards

Thanks for the help!

3. Thorne

Thorne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Check what SSD you get when you receive the laptop, Dell uses different vendors for SSD's in these laptop. Mine is with a SK Hynix 512 GB PC401 which is a decent SSD but not fast when compared to Samsung Evo 970. But few people can notice differences in actual usage between different NVME SSD's.

As for Wifi you cannot change the card, it's integrated (soldered) into the motherboard. Only thing you can do is use an external card if you don't like the Killer card's performance.

I'm now on my third XPS in a month's time, previous models were 9370 and 9570. All these plus my current one had that same Killer chip and the only one which had probelms with it was the 9570. So test it properly when you get it - my 9380 Killer chip has been working quite reliably so far. The only thing i can notice are somewhat lower transfer speeds with my old N-series Wifi box compared to Intel receivers, but the total difference is something like 10%.

4. Thorne

Reputations:
    My 4K Touch model came with the same Sharp panel which was used in the 9370 and i've seen other reports like this around the web. For some reason the 9380 with a FHD panel hasn't really been rewieved by any usual sites, i wonder why is that?

5. Grasshopper9

Grasshopper9 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the details and will do some benchmarks on the SSD. I bought it from the business side of dell.com so maybe diff components?

I got the FHD so will report on that once I get the laptop.

6. Thorne

Reputations:
    I also got benchmarks of these two SSD's with that Crystaldisk software if you need them. This computer is also with the 1 year onsite-warranty so i think it came from the same "pool" as yours. The benchmarks show differences between the PC401 and Evo 970 but i'm not shure if the difference is noticeable in actual computer usage.

I was hesitant of the 4K screen initially but the more i use it the more i like it.. :)

7. MikeTLB

MikeTLB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Thorne

Reputations:
    Somewhere there on Notebookcheck's comments there's a guy who asked Dell where are they sourcing their panels and i think they replied that they come from both AUO and Sharp.

I've read several comments that at least outside of the US Dell seems to still use the Sharp panel in many 9380 computers right now. My computer is from Europe.

MikeTLB likes this.
  9. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got mine yesterday with the 4k panel. First time I have ever bought a dell laptop. Have been forced to use them at work for years though. Mine has had no major issues at all. I also like that the screen is very easy on the eyes, I don't have headaches or anything while looking at it. Mine is a sharp panel so this came as a suprise to me as the sharp panels are supposed to use pwm (pulse width modulation). Something weird is that the display colors became much nicer after running dell and windows updates. Not sure why. Anyway, as much as I love the display, I would get the full hd panel if I had to do it all over again as the difference between this and my old 1080p sony laptop are not that great. The 1080p dell panel also has better battery life at 15 hours or so according to reports while on this one I got 7 - 8. Just my two cents.

10. ANDREW007CZ

ANDREW007CZ Newbie

Reputations:
    Could someone run a DPC latency test with LatencyMon software please (at least 10 minutes while normal use)? I'm considering purchase for audio work.