Dell XPS 13 9380 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by arctics, Jan 29, 2019.

1. arctics

arctics Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I've had the FHD version of the 9380 for over a month now, 16gb RAM, installed my own SSD - Samsung EVO, Windows 10 Pro. I haven't experienced any heat issues (yes it gets warm but not bothersome) despite working on this laptop on my lap for hours a day. Battery life with the FHD display set to around 40% seems to be 8 to 10 hours with "normal" use - i.e. web surfing, emails, a few tabs open, Office documents. For me, I've been really happy with this laptop, no problems others have mentioned - e.g. no audio dropouts (although I do wish the audio was a little louder).

2. chrisholland03

chrisholland03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm seeing 15+ hours battery life pretty consistently on the current BIOS. It does get toasty if I leave it on my lap for extended periods. My guess is the current BIOS favors passive vs active thermal management.

3. arctics

Reputations:
    Wow, that's a lot of battery life! I haven't tried the battery for an extended period on the current bios, previously as mentioned I've been averaging about 9. Do you have any settings in particular that you altered to get that much, e.g. are you using "Dell Power Plan," lowering monitor resolution to minimal, setting "battery saver" to a high percentage?

4. chrisholland03

Reputations:
    I'm using 'Best Battery' setting and 'Dell Power Plan'. Display off after 3 minutes, sleep at 5 minutes.

5. arctics

Reputations:
    Thanks!

6. madweazl

madweazl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been pleased with the laptop thus far. I have the I7 for the 16gb RAM and went with the 4k monitor as well. The 256gb drive it ships with is slow (SK Hynix PC401) so I replaced that with a 512gb EVO+ right away (max write speeds went from 800MB/s to 2.9GB/s in ATTO). I was getting a fair amount of thermal throttling; after trying a few different thermal compounds and adding a thermal pad, that has gotten much better as well. I've posted some additional info on my setup here.

Edit: I did a clean install of 10 Enterprise. I didnt use any of the drivers off of Dell's website (all done via Windows update). I did use an old version of Thunderbolt Control Center from Dell as the latest wont install for me via the Microsoft Store.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. tarasends

tarasends Newbie

Reputations:
    just ordered the matte display,
    what other complaints are there for the matte display?
    coming from a MBP retina, would have preferred the 4K
    gloss might be harder to work out doors for longer periods plus shorter battery

sorry about your defects. does anyone else have any negatives about the matte?
    was looking at the ubuntu version as well, but the arctic white wasn't an option for the specs needed,
    curious to hear what people have to say though

8. chrisholland03

Reputations:
    My only complaint so far is the power button is a little sticky.
    I'm coming from a 9370 with 4K screen, the 4K definitely has more color saturation but on a 13" laptop that's about the only benefit I can see. The 4K also comes with a significant battery impact and shows fingerprints.

9. madweazl

madweazl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My power button is fine so this is likely a quality control issue.

10. Weymaster

Weymaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I started using mine after transfering all my files. I'm happy overall.
    It's replacing XPS13 I got 3 years ago. They are basically the same size except from the back where this one is slightly shorter.

Good
    - Much less bloatware than the last time I got a new laptop. Other than drivers and manufacturer software, I have only encountered the McAffee AV stuff
    - It's fast (I got the i5 with 8gb RAM)
    - My favourite part is the material the palmrest has. It's so comfortable for the hands.
    - Both keyboard and touchpad feel great

Not so good
    - It gets hot from the bottom and fans can get loud when under load
    - I prefer the older silver color. This one is less dark, almost white
    - I get random screen flickering. Not very bad but still there.
    - Automatic brightness control is evident which I find a bit distracting

All in all I think it's a good product. Hopefully it will last as long as my last XPS13.