Dell XPS 13 9380 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by arctics, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Chris_jelley

Chris_jelley Newbie

Reputations:
    Terrible, terrible, terrible. No end of issues with my brand new 9380 and TB16 Thunderbolt Dock. So much so that Dell has sent a replacement order. Let’s see if the problems are just with this machine or if they are symptomatic of the model.

2. Weymaster

Weymaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered mine yesterday to replace my 3 year old XPS13. It still works great but I get a BYOD bonus at work so I thought why not.

I'm from Mexico and got it straight from Dell, the i5, 8gb 256gb ssd and 1080P screen bundled with a 2 year warranty is around $1800 USD! I like XPX13 a lot but I bet I could have gotten a better deal with another brand. however, Dell is the only manufacturer that offers NBD on site support in Mexico so I had very limited options.

I'll bet getting it in 2 or 3 weeks. The upgrade I'm hyped the most for is the PCIe SSD, as my current XPS has some issues with Chrome just saturating the i/o of the SSD.

3. Chris_jelley

Chris_jelley Newbie

Reputations:
    So. I have had my 9380 for about a month and the problem that you have stated about Chrome saturating the i/o of the SSD is still present on mine. I have the i7 latest generation chip in mine. Coupled with this the machine has multiple event errors logged every time it boots up and regularly has BSOD which I think is due to the TB16 Thunderbolt dock. Oh and sound drivers intermittently stop working which then forces me to troubleshoot. Rather than proving NBD onsite Dell have just shipped complete replacement system. Hoping I just got a random dud but if the same problems persist on the new one I’ll be sending it back for a complete refund.

4. chrisholland03

chrisholland03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I ended up doing a lot of driver updates and a fresh install of Win10 and my 9380 has been way more stable. No issues with the Thunderbolt ports, wifi drops, etc. Also discovered that a firmware change to my router (Arris) was causing the wifi drops. It would drop every time the router automatically shifted the laptop between the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. I ended up splitting the two bands and manually connecting to one, and no more drops.

5. Stahkk

Stahkk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I ordered a 9380 with the following specs:

Full HD display
    i7
    16 gig rams
    256 SSD

I will be using it with an aorus gaming box (the 2070). I've been reading a lot that doing a fresh install of windows could potentially bust performance/avoid any potential issues. Just curious what the best way to do this would be. I know that windows 10 now offers a "fresh start" option which is supposed to restore the laptop to original windows 10 settings without any bloatware, however would it be better to get a windows 10 USB boot? Also, once I do this, what drivers exactly am i supposed to install? I would guess th emost important one is the wifi driver so that I can get windows update to install most of them by itself, but then how would i know whether any drivers are missing?

Thanks for your help.

6. chrisholland03

chrisholland03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did a fresh start -- it seems to hold onto the drivers. IF you do the USB boot, you'll definitely want to grab the drivers off the Dell website before starting.

7. Jinh0o

Jinh0o Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    decided to put in an ssd I took out from my razer blade and all hell broke loose. trying to boot into bios is an all day affair and once there, cursor doesn't move at all..
    the hells going on, I just want to get into usb recovery.

how do I boot from usb recovery image?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  8. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am really curious to hear your guys' experiences with 9380 after a few months of regular, every day usage regarding the battery life and the heat this thing generates.

I've had 9360, and replaced the battery twice in the last 3 years I've had it simply because it degrades in no time, and the original one held about 7-8 hours of charge max, on the lowest setting, minimal usage, 40-50% screen, etc. Even less than that if I actually use it for anything more intensive than simple browsing with more than 5-6 tabs (about 4-5 hours, tops).

Nowhere near the advertised 19hr battery life they were pushing (and still are pushing) on their website for that model.

And then after 3-4 months of usage the battery life would deteriorate so much that after full charge it would last about 2 hours tops, at minimal/optimal power setting and minimal app usage. As in, I had to have it plugged in at all times if I wanted to get anything done.

Pure false advertising if you ask me, as I couldn't achieve even half of that on any of the minimal/lowest settings possible that would allow a human to do any work on that laptop. Which, at that price tag put it in a whole different "battery life" category with much cheaper laptops, in my opinion.

And the heat this thing generates.... phew. If I held it on my lap directly, I'd probably cook my own nuts and sterilize myself within the hour (for the lack of a better description).

Are you guys seeing any of those issues on 9380 (or if you do after a few months, please share here).

And what's the longest you've ever had that battery last on a regular usage cycle (nothing too crazy like video editing and crunching photoshop while having 40 browser tabs open)?

Just curious... as I want to hear some real life stats, not these benchmark and estimated stats Dell keeps pushing.

Because I'm either going to upgrade my 9360 with 9380... or buy something else completely different that ACTUALLY lasts 10+ hours during normal usage (any suggestions on those models are welcome too).

9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try looking up a good battery life optimisation guide, and follow it. The idea is one should minimise idle consumption / background activities, so that the CPU is at low clock as much as possible. This may vary a lot depending on stuff you've got installed, and there are services in the operating system you can turn off. Mind which web browser you're using, use an extension to suspend inactive tabs, etc.

The new devices may not be the best idea now because Modern Sleep seems to drain battery much faster than old S3 which has been forcefully removed.

Li-ion batteries tend to have a lifetime of roughly 500 cycles, degradation within a year or two is expected unfortunately if you work on battery regularly. You can extend lifetime by not charging to the max when not needed (set max charge level to 90%, min 85% using Dell Command | Power Manager).

10. Weymaster

Weymaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Man, that's disappointing to know. The only issue I've had with this computer is that and I was counting it to be solved by now...

No docks here. That issue just doesn't make any sense to me. I have a gaming desktop and the same google account is logged on it (same extensions, etc) and it works just fine.