Dell XPS 13 9380 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by arctics, Jan 29, 2019.

1. arctics

arctics Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It came with Windows Home. I upgraded to Windows pro, then cloned the this drive to the new Samsung and reinstalled all my programs/migrated data.

I used the original audio drivers, made no changes.

2. danielb_

danielb_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Ive received it and can confirm it’s matte

3. danielb_

danielb_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Little update: I’m returning the XPS. First of all, I don’t like the matte look of the screen. It’s plain advertised incorrectly on the website, and I’ve literally had to convince the phone rep for 20 minutes that this actually was a mistake; he didn’t seem to want to believe me. Second of all, there’s weird small white wires exposed at the right sight of the hinge, below the screen. Third, the audio driver stops working randomly, and when plugging in headphones the audio just keeps on playing over the speakers. Fourth, the screen flickers very often. It just doesn’t seem like good quality, and I’m going to go back to my MBP. It just really sucks because I went away from the MBP because of keyboard problems, but this laptop unfortunately has even more issues.

I guess I’m gonna have to wait for a MBP redesign while using my MBP, cause I just can’t seem to find a reliable computer at the moment.

4. dpazz

dpazz Newbie

Reputations:
    Be interested in seeing a picture of the exposed wires.

The audio driver might just require an update.

5. danielb_

danielb_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I reinstalled Windows already, and repeatedly tried installing the latest driver from Dell. The issues seems to start when I wake the laptop from sleep.

As for the wires (at least, that’s what I think they are when looking really closely) they are hard to grab a picture of, this is the best I could do[​IMG][​IMG]

6. billyg599

billyg599 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    I just ordered mine with Ubuntu and i was wondering if anyone else has got this one. I would like to ask a couple of questions. Thanks

capobeat likes this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am with you on the Matte screen, my dell 24" touchscreen is matte, my notebooks screen is glossy, the glossy looks SOOOOO much better. I am, however, not with you on the MacBook thing. Terrible overpriced devices.

8. arctics

arctics Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm sorry for you that you received a machine with these defects, sounds like a lemon. My 9380 hasn't had any of these issues in the three weeks I've owned it-- audio is smooth/fine, no wires visible, no screen flickers. It' just running the way it's supposed to and I'm very happy with it.

9. chrisholland03

chrisholland03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My 9380 came in yesterday, I'm pleased so far.

I chose the i7 processor, 256GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, standard display, White/Arctic White.

From an out-of-the-box user experience perspective it's always a bummer that the first 2 hours are spent updating Windows 10 and hardware/BIOS updates. Not specific to Dell or the 9380, but it's one of those little things that leave an impact on perception of quality.

One thing I've observed, not sure if it's by design or a setting, or specific to my particular unit, but I have noticed the wireless adapter seems to shut off when there's no activity for a period of time (2-3 minutes) and not plugged in. It fires right back up and connects quickly once needed. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

10. it101

it101 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone else had any success in downloading the Thunderbolt Control Center from the microsoft store? I cannot and that makes my eGPU a very expensive paperweight......

If I try to install the old Thunderbolt Software, I get an error popup saying "This Thunderbolt application is not in use anymore and can be safely uninstalled"