Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 Kaby Lake Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Diversion, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Starting an owner's thread for the new Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 (Kaby Lake).

I switched from a Kaby Lake 9360 to this and so far loving it..

It seems that either Dell or it's the Y series processor, that the Core cannot be undervolted at all.. Even though it allows me to set an extreme -1000mv on the Core, it doesn't change anything.. Even though it shows the change was made and has been applied.. However, the Cache undervolting does work. In addition, the Intel GPU undervolting is also blocked/not working.

It's a shame because you would be able to extend the boost time with an undervolt :/

Otherwise, it's a great machine, and yes CABC sucks but it only seems that it works at lower brightness levels.. If you run at half to max brightness, it seems to not do anything.

I'm not sure that i'll return it based on CABC alone.. It's pretty annoying yes, but not so much that it ruins everything.. Dell will likely NEVER fix it since for over 2 years, they never fixed it on FHD units of the previous XPS 13.. They only fixed it on QHD panels.

Battery life isn't too far off from what my experience was on the normal XPS 13.. So far I streamed a movie on Netflix that was about 1 hour, 45 minutes, from 99% and it only drained my battery to 80% using 50% brightness.

More to come!

huntnyc likes this.
  2. ghtop

ghtop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm currently trying the QHD/i5/8GB/256GB model, so far I've wiped the SSD (SK Hynix PC300 NVMe) and reinstalled Windows but struggling a bit with the battery drain during standby, despite the recent BIOS update that was supposed to fix it drained 50% in 6 hours with WiFi off, which is basically the same as being fully on and idling :(

These new models seem to have the full Modern/Connected Standby, unlike my 9350, and with it the much reduced power plan options (like the Surface Pro 4) so there's not much tweakable there. It doesn't seem to provide the usual diagnostics for Sleep Study so it's hard to track the problem to its source; also BIOS startup time doesn't show in Task Manager, so I think there's probably still something funky with Dell's current BIOS for now.

I'll post some more when things stabilize a bit.

3. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I fixed the standby or at least minimized it by disabling the "On battery power, stay connected to network while asleep" under Power settings.. And then also enabled Hibernation after 30 minutes of sleeping. Maybe only lost 1% overnight last night doing this. Maybe 2%.

4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I keep getting huge lag in Edge when just trying to go to websites.. It just thinks about it a while before going to the page I type in the URL bar. My other laptops in the house don't do that :/ Not sure if it's the Y series or what but it definitely lags a bit more than i'm used to.

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Both Dell and Intel should have several blocks that prevent extreme undervolt (-1000mv) from getting applied. Some of those blocks may disappear for say a -50mv undervolt, making the undervolt easier to execute.

Will Intel XTU work? Why don't you visit the ThrottleStop thread to see if they have some suggestions.

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The recent Windows 10 update did the same thing to my Edge Browser (Dell 9550). Edge worked fine before that Windows update

7. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    About to try XTU.. Already posted about it in the ThrottleStop thread. My previous XPS non-2in1 worked fine with Throttlestop with i5 Kaby Lake so i'm not sure if Dell did something to this model or if it has something to do with the new Y series since their voltage is extremely jumpy and wild.

8. ghtop

Reputations:
    OK, so Sleep Study stats seem to be functioning now, and the culprit is the Synaptics VFS7552 fingerprint reader. It shows 100% activity during sleep, preventing any DRIPS time at all (whether set up for Windows Hello or not). To test, as admin run this command:

powercfg /sleepstudy

Disabling it in Device Manager results in decent DRIPS time and about 1% per hour drain, which is way better. Reinstalling drivers didn't help. Power Management option for it is seemingly ignored.

Wish we could just have plain old S3 sleep :(

9. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well you can disable connected standby via the Registry.. I *think* that puts the machine in normal S3 sleep like a non-modernized machine.

10. ghtop

Reputations:
    Sadly, S3 isn't available when S0 is disabled, leaving S4/Hibernate as the only option.