Dell XPS 13 9360 Kaby Lake Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Diversion, Nov 23, 2016.

1. BrightStar

BrightStar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my XPS 9360 (i5/8GB/128GB HDD) and bios seems to be 1.3.5. Would appreciate if someone could advise if it is best to do a clean install and update to the latest bios? Anything which one needs to do?

I've bought a 512GB SSD so planning to do a clean install once new SDD arrives.
    Thanks

2. c14rider

c14rider Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone else having trouble upgrading to Windows 10 64 bit 1803? Mine refuses to accept the update. I've even downloaded the full install and it won't update that way either. I suspect this is just my PC and not a platform issue, but thought I'd ask.

3. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No problems here going to 1803.

c14rider likes this.
  4. Fictivity

Fictivity Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I just purchased a dell 13 9360 for a good price the model is I5 7200u with a 128gb ssd.

I’m planning to upgrade the SSD however and I have two models in mind however I’m a bit out of date with SSD and current developments and I need some advice, hoping that someone here can help me out.

The models I have in mind are these:

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/wester...fFCA-7Qlqm18B_yTfsZg978PgLsF9mw8aAh6SEALw_wcB

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/western-digital-black-512gb-m.2-internal-ssd-wds512g1x0c/version.asp

Will either of these work and is the difference with the nvme drive worth the extra euro’s in combination with (possible) limitations on the laptop?

When installing I would like to do a clean install, are there any things to keep in mind with regards to bios/driver settings?

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Western Digital certainly is not the first name that comes to mind for m.2 consumer drives.

LaptopsDirect does not seem to have very competitive prices either.

I doubt you will see any increase in performance in daily use with an nvme drive on that laptop unless you are doing very intensive processing.

6. Fictivity

Fictivity Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply!

Which SSD would you recommend then? Is the Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB M.2 a good alternative?

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Samsung makes good SSDs. The EVO 850 or 860 will probably provide similar real world performance

8. fEArmE

fEArmE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My less than a year old 9360 with i7 7560 16GB RAM 1TB SSD with QHD+ started to have screen flicker under certain circumstances. I suspect this is video card driver related because I can completely stop the screen flicker when the video driver is uninstalled or when I lowered the screen resolution to 1600 x 900. However, i cannot stop the flicker when I am playing solitaire under maximized window (no flicker in full screen mode). Does anyone have similar issue?