Dell XPS 13 9360 Kaby Lake Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Diversion, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Coltaine79

Coltaine79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip regarding core and cache undervolt! I had no idea. I thought that one of the benefits of ThrottleStop vs XTU was that you could de-couple the 2 voltages.

BTW my machine is a 9360 with a Kaby Lake CPU, hence why I posted in this thread ;)

https://ark.intel.com/products/95451/Intel-Core-i7-7500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz-

2. Coltaine79

Reputations:
    Hi @pressing - I tried to look this up but could not find any info on this. I did, however, find a couple of users stating they were fine running CPU Core at -0.125v and CPU cache at -0.100v (for example). And at one point Uncle Webb seemed to indicate that was fine.
    Perhaps what you mentioned is no longer an issue with 7th gen and 8th gen CPUs?

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here are some places to look but there is more in that thread. One problem is that very little Intel documentation exists so you this is trial and error you need to run

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-730#post-10656766

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-656#post-10594063

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-710#post-10638278

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-710#post-10637749

Coltaine79 likes this.
  4. lapingultah

lapingultah Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Finally put my order in for 9360 after seeing & hearing about 9370 and deciding not to go with it since I can get 8th gen. Intel with last year's model as well! The only question I have beforehand is that does Dell have some kind of an automatic battery cycle management builtin? I mean I'm used to having to limit max. battery charge at 80% because I'm working with it plugged-in most of the time, but e.g. newer ThinkPads handle usage like this automatically without the need to manually intervene in any way.

5. Coltaine79

Reputations:
    Yes it's in the bios. i have my 9360 set to "Primarily on AC". By default it's set to "Adaptive". You can also set it to "Custom" and type in your own values.

lapingultah likes this.
  6. vivithemage

vivithemage Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I got my 9360 xps 13 (i5, 256gb, 8gb memory), did some testing, and was getting 94C and throttle to about 2200mhz with stock paste. Undervolting I was getting about 2300mhz and 94C.
    Not the worst application i've ever seen, but pretty overkill still.

So I reapplied with Arctic MX2. I now get about 2500mhz, and it hovers around 93C. A smidge better, but surprisingly, still a fair bit of throttle. I am not sure there is much else I can do, I did try reapplying 2 more times to make sure it was not my application. I also tried Arctic Silver 5, and got similar results. So i'll either have to live with it, or return it and maybe try something else. I was actually expecting more out of the i5 8250U.

Playing a little more with undervolting, I am now getting:
    93C - 2850mhz
    GPU -45.9mV
    CPU -85mV

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  7. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You're not going to get much more out of a quad core cpu in an ultrabook. You can try a high end paste but you're really at the mercy of the cooling system that is crammed into something that thin. Need speed then buy something that isn't an ultra book...

8. vivithemage

vivithemage Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't need the speed, but I want to get it as close to good as I can, within reason. I see a lot of people on here have gotten 75C~ and max mhz, with the same setup, so I am not sure why mine is so different!

9. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's a new BIOS

Dell XPS 13 9360 System BIOS

XPS 13 9360 2.6.2 BIOS
    Fixes & Enhancements
    Fixes:
    - Fixed incorrect Windows operating system logon message.

Enhancements:
    - Enhanced SMM Security Mitigation feature.
    - Updated Embedded Controller Engine Firmware.
    - Updated Realtek USB LAN firmware.
    Version
    Version 2.6.2, 2.6.2
    Category
    BIOS
    Release date
    22 Mar 2018
    Last Updated
    22 Mar 2018

Any idea what the effects are, specifically anything to do with the embedded controller engine and thermal management?

10. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to update and say that I think my i7-8550U is now power throttling to 18W after this update, without engaging the thermal throttle. Performance is down. Can anyone confirm?