Dell XPS 13 9360 Kaby Lake Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Diversion, Nov 23, 2016.

1. MEJazz

MEJazz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The sweet-spot is i5 8gb 256gb with FHD matte screen. I bought that config for my daughter for about 650 after tax and its been superb. I myself found it too small so try it out yourself. To me the ideal laptop is XPS-15 16GB 512GB and why not an i7 in that :) No need for 4k screen though, FHD is sufficient and provides longer battery life.

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. runordie226

runordie226 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop model 9360 with 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD @ Intel I7-7500u with max speed of 2.70GHz and Turbo Boost to 3.50GHz.

I don't know why the processor maxes out at 2.18GHz and the utilization rate never passes 75% (I checked from Device Manager and also from Speccy)...I already confirmed that Intel Turbo Boost is enabled in my BIOS and my maximum processor state is 100% under Power Options. Furthermore, my BIOS is the most updated @ 2.3.1

I am very confused and stumped at why this happens..Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance!

4. subw0fer

subw0fer Newbie

Reputations:
    Got this notebook recently. XPS 13 - 9360, 8/256. But I don't see any adaptive brightness. How to check this?

ghilt likes this.
  5. GregW

GregW Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After a 5 year excursion with a MAC I'm back with this purchase. I just couldn't wait for a decent MacBook Pro to come out, and Apple delaying adding 8th Generation was the straw that broke the back.
    Things in PC world have changed in the last 5 years, I'm reorienting. So far I like this laptop and its performance I'm just not thrilled with the track pad. I guess you can't have everything.
    Capture.PNG

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  6. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cool... I recently got one with the i7-8550U and 16GB with 512GB SSD as well for $950 from the outlet and when I called up wanting to return it because of a Yoga 720 13" deal I found on Slickdeals, they (Dell Customer Service) offered me another $100 off to keep it.

7. berniebennybernard

berniebennybernard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone know best way to limit the max multiplier ratio on the 9360 with the i7-8550U?

It can hit up to 40x on 1/2 cores with 37x on 3/4 cores at once.

I would like to limit it to something like 32x to deal with temperatures as it can occasionally spike up to 90-95 degrees celcius.

I've tried changing the maximum processor state, but even at 89%, it does nothing to limit the max clocks. At 88%, it drops it to 1.8GHz max, but that's too much of a performance drop.

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A couple of easy ideas I use:

- free ThrottleStop allows you to set multiplier

- Intel SpeedShift will allow you to adjust the CPU performance via the EPP setting (0=max performance, 255=max power savings). Anything above say 80 will start capping max turbo speeds. This is a great feature for laptops.

I don't know if Dell has enabled SpeedShift in 8550U via BIOS. Doesn't matter as there are a few ways to enable it. ThrottleStop is the easiest. This quick primer should get you started:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

9. Coltaine79

Coltaine79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I posted my experience with this machine on the Dell subreddit, but I don't think anyone there has my exact configuration so trying to find people here who can share their experience with me:

So having this laptop for about 6 weeks now, and spending some time experimenting with undervolting, Speed Shift, etc, I wanted to share my experiences and also ask about other folks' experiences. First off, my laptop is actually previous-gen and has the i7-7500u with 8GB ram, 256gb SSD, and QHD+ screen.

Regarding the fan: I feel like it only turns on after the CPU core passes 90 degrees C and stays at that temperature for at least 8-10 seconds. So if I'm doing a Prime95 torture test (which causes temps to spike FAST) I only start audibly hearing the fan at 94 C or so. Can I adjust the fan to turn on earlier?

I have enabled SpeedShift via ThrottleStop and I am undervolting like this:

• CPU Core: -0.100

• CPU cache: -0.090

• GPU: -0.060

• SpeedShift EPP: 70 while plugged-in, 128 while on battery
    I did the following temperature test while plugged-in: Prime95 torture test, small FFTs, but only 2 threads instead of 4. I ran it for 20 minutes. CPU speed stayed at 3.5ghz for the duration (meaning full turbo and no throttling - GOOD!) but CPU core temp was pretty much 94 C for the test (BAD!). That disappointed me considering I'm only running 2 threads instead of 4, and I'm already undervolted!!

I know I need to look into re-applying the thermal paste next, but first I wanted to see how other folks experiences compared to mine. And for the other guys who are undervolting: do you have your CPU core and cache at slightly different voltages, like me?

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You should have your CPU core & cache undervolt identical or they are likely ignored by the CPU. There is more detail in the ThrottleStop thread if you like.

Search the forums for undervolting ranges of other users; I know there is a ton of 9560 data but don't know about 9530.

Thermal paste on these XPS units is poorly applied so that generally provides plenty of additional thermal headroom.

Coltaine79 and Vistar Shook like this.