Dell XPS 13 9360 Kaby Lake Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Diversion, Nov 23, 2016.

1. jugih

jugih Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, a new BIOS. Anyone tried already?

2. Truphane

Truphane Newbie

Reputations:
    XPS 13 (9360) Kaby Lake - high CPU usage - high temperature - excessive fan noise - short battery life --- FYI to anyone with these problems

My XPS 13 (9360) somehow had the notorious Intel "LMS" service running, which was for long periods taking more than 30% of the CPU and and running the chip red hot (90 deg C!) with the fan spinning loudly. The palmrest was very warm and the bottom uncomfortably hot. Dell support had no idea what could be causing this.

From what little I've found, Local Management Service may have some corporate use but is not needed on a private PC. With admin privileges, go into Windows services management and locate "Intel Management and Security Application - Local Management Service". Open its properties, stop the service, and set its startup type to "Disabled". Reboot. If that permanently fixes your problems then it's probably also a good idea to locate and delete the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\lms.exe". And be aware that a Windows update may resurrect the problem. It will almost certainly return the next time you update the chipset drivers.

The free utility "HWInfo" is great for seeing CPU core temperatures and fan speeds (and much else). After I killed LMS, my CPU temps dropped to about 50 deg C and the fan is almost always either off or below audibility.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone have mouse touchpad issues with their XPS 13?

I received my system last week the mouse touchpad just doesn't work it either won't respond or it gets stuck somewhere on the screen.

I updated the drivers, uninstalled it and reinstalled same issue, Dell had me update the BIOS, run diagnostics etc. but it still didn't work so they have ordered an exchange which I am waiting for.

Is this a common issue with this model?

4. pixelcamo

pixelcamo Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes and zero problems so far

jugih likes this.
  5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    TB16/WD15 dock users report major USB trouble.

jugih likes this.
  6. MEJazz

MEJazz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like this thread is "catch all" for anything 9360 so here goes: just got a refurb 9360 with coil whine. I can live with it but wondering if its a sign of looming hardware failure? A secondary minor issue is that F9 key is poorly backlit. Its significantly dark compared to rest of the keyboard. Anyone else has uneven backlight on their keyboard?

7. ghilt

ghilt Newbie

Reputations:
    Happened to run across this thread and thought that I might get some ideas and recommendations. Been a happy user of a Alienware M11x-R3 for some time and concerned about Dell’s dropping support. I do audio and picture editing and some simple video editing but no games. Over the years I have upgraded the RAM to 16 GB, the HD is a 256 GB SSD and the screen is now a nice matte IPT. My candidate replacement might be a XRS 13 with either an i5 or i7(which?), With a minimum of 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD.
    I’m probably 20% mobile and 80% at the desk plugged into a 19” monitor and Edifier speakers with the laptop opened up to 180 degrees to roll under the desktop on a sliding sub desk surface (a little grinding on those hinges with the Dremel does wonders!).
    Underneath it all there probably is the “got to have the fastest gun in the West” attitude.
    I can see a larger, better definition screen, faster CPU and a thinner machine. That would be offset by the need for a HDMI/SD card slot dongle.
    Somehow I'm not overly sold on the step-up. Your thoughts, Please

8. wtherrell

wtherrell Newbie

Reputations:
    just got mine a day or so ago. Very happy so far. It's better than I thought it would be. I got the i5 256 fhd non-touch. Can't believe how small a footprint it has and keyboard is ok. Only thing I have found frustrating so far is Dell's non intuitive bizarre Support Assist. I've been trying for days to extend the warranty and it's practically impossible to navigate Dell's website. You click on a button to do one thing and it takes you somewhere else with no indication of how to do what you intended. Now trying to set up Outlook sync with Office 365 on my Desktop machine. Trying out Sync2 at the moment. Windows 10 seems quite tricky so far but I'll get there eventually.
    Glad I went for this matte screen instead of the touch QHD.

9. Nigel ng

Nigel ng Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, just got my xps 13 with an intel i7-7500u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd.
    I am just wondering how much can i undervolt the cpu to achieve maximum efficiency.
    Sorry is i sound like a noob but please help out!!!! Currently using XTU

10. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The i7-8550U is now available on their site, I am curious to see what the performance gain is like under sustained load.

c14rider likes this.