Dell XPS 13 9360 Kaby Lake Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Diversion, Nov 23, 2016.

1. MosGuy

MosGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @bozma88: I am aware of the enhancement pack, in fact I have it on my old precision m6400. The reason I didn't mention it to Ament, is because it was designed for older systems with windows 7/8. I believe dell chose to retire it years ago. There's no official support for the XPS, there could be unforeseen bugs/instability so it's: use it at your own risk. If it works ok, that's cool for those that need it.

2. pixelcamo

pixelcamo Newbie

Reputations:
    First post and some random considerations about the 9360:

# I had the 9360 for a week now and I can say I feel quite satisfied with the machine. It's not perfect -- and I'll talk about that later -- but I can see why it's still considered the best Windows-only laptop (because MacBook can run Windows too...). My version is just one step below the top spec version with the 3K+touch screen, i7-7500U, 16GB of RAM and the 512GB SSD.

# The issues I fixed:
    As it was already pointed before the keyboard backlighting short timeout is not really an "issue" because it's like that by design. And yes it's good for the battery life. But a short timeout defy the advantage of having a backlighted KB, because you can't see the keys even if you're still using the laptop. I changed the timeout to 15 minutes but the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack it's not easy to find and some version don't install at all OR they cause the option panel to crash (for the record, the right version for the 9360 is this one: APP_QHDFW_DBC_W81X64_W10X64_A00_Setup-20JWV_ZPE.exe).
    One important issue with this laptop -- and the previous versions too -- it's the screen flashing/flickering. I experienced this thing frequently with the Intel Graphics driver installed automatically by Windows 10 (late May), and also with the latest Intel driver available at Dell. It's now basically almost gone with the latest Intel driver available on the INTEL website (from May '17 IIRC). I was quite scared of this because I saw many long threads with people writing about sending the machine back to Dell for motherboard swaps, issues not fixed, etc. etc. Not my case thou. With the latest driver I can't still say it's ALMOST fully gone to the point I'm no more worried about. I had a single flash yesterday, not a single one today. But I can live with that and IMO it's an indication that's a driver issue, not hardware.

# Coil whine and (no) fan noise:
    There's a bit of coil whine on my sample but it's hard to notice because it's a tiny noise. You must be really in complete silence with ZERO ambient noise to notice that. And also, this really tells you how silent this machine is when it's idling. It's almost completely dead silent and I'm coming from a passive ZenBook UX305FA so I had clear idea of how quiet a laptop can be. The fan behaviour is very close to my old mid-2015 MacBook Pro: inaudible at idle, low at mid-loads, noticeable-to-noisy just when you need all the power from the cores. That's good engineering and having used a terrible Yoga 2 and a HP Ultrabook I know how bad this thing can be.

# Inputs:
    The keyboard is a bit smaller than the usual for this form factor but at least is basically a top class keyboard. Same for the touchpad, there's not much space for a bigger touchpad but it's smooth, it's responsive (you can't feel any lag), the clicks are really good and it's a precision touchpad, which is something that IMO it's so good that must be mandatory for the Ultrabook specification. It's probably the best touchpad you can find on a Ultrabook, but if you used a recent MacBook you know that it's still not on par with a Force Touch Trackpad.

# Screen and form factor:
    3200x1800 may sound excessive, but Windows' font antialiasing is sharper than macOS so you need a slightly higher resolution to match the same level of detail. If you want a Retina-like level of detail on fonts and OS GUI, this resolution makes sense. Touch? I'm not touching this screen, thank you anyway.
    16:9 is the form factor to go if you want to maximise portability, but 16:10 makes a better use of space and I feel that should be the basic ratio used for laptops. Plus, you can have more space for a bigger touchpad. And by the way, since the bezels reduced so much the overall volume, why not making 14" the new default?

(more later)

3. petervivian

petervivian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got my 9360 with i7-7660U. It runs very hot. I am surprised Dell still use the hinge design that blocks the air vents on the right-hand side.
    In my opinion, this design originated from Macbook but recent Macbook Pro models have a revised hinge design that allows the hot air to blow more effortlessly through it.

Attached Files:

4. nynoah

nynoah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am having an issue where my screen dimming F11 and F12 no longer will dim the screen. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know a fix for this issue?

5. reechings

reechings Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I am shopping around for a laptop for my wife to use for her counseling practice. I am leaning towards the XPS 13 but was curious if there are any Dell sales reps around this forum? When I bought my Alienware M17x R4 several years back now I got a really good deal working through a special sales group for forum members. I am in Canada if that matters and the price seems pretty reasonable but any coupon codes or discounts or extended service deals would be great. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

6. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you find a good deal from a rep in Canada I am looking to purchase this notebook but want to get a better deal than what is online.

7. jugih

jugih Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New BIOS is out. Dated 20.7. and carries version 1.3.7

Updated it and all went well.

EDIT: MaxxAudio isn't working with this update

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  8. Eason

Eason Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A 10C+ temperature differential says bent heatsink to me.

9. jugih

jugih Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ..aand rolled back to 1.3.5. MaxxAudio wasn't working on 1.3.7

10. reechings

reechings Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, haven't purchased yet. Was hoping for more response from this thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk