Dell XPS 13 9360 Kaby Lake Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Diversion, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Didn't see an owner's thread started for the new Kaby Lake powered Dell XPS 13 9360.

This thread is for general, technical, and all things Kaby Lake XPS 13 9360.

I picked up a i5, 8gb, 128gb 1080p model tonight and absolutely loving it so far.. The fan is ultra quiet (when it activates around 85c or so) and it actually runs pretty cold under stress on stock paste..

Then, I repasted it with Coollaboratories Liquid Ultra (yes.. I liquid metal'ed my machine).

Here are my before and after results using Throttle Stop's built in 1024M "TS Bench":

Stock paste and stock voltage:
    [​IMG]

Repaste with CLU and stock voltage:
    [​IMG]

About a solid 10c drop after fans kick on.. Although peak temp ceiling will be similar since fans will not turn on until the upper 80s or so. But it's worth mentioning that getting to peak temperatures are increased since it can passively cool better after the repaste.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Kikuri and pressing like this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That took some balls!

I was going to suggest running a few benchmarks (Prime95, ROG RealBench...) but that will be for others to try before & after.

You might take a look at the SpeedShift thread; I think you can use ThrottleStop or some of the tips to enable SpeedShift in the Kaby Lake. I have been told SpeedShift has not been enabled by Dell (although Intel and Micro$oft have both enabled the function)...

EDIT - The SpeedShift thread is here - glad you found it useful reading:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-15-9550-skylake-speed-shift.796891/

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Diversion likes this.
  3. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you mean SpeedStep? It's enabled on my unit and it downclocks to 600mhz (not often though).. Seems to idle around 900mhz a lot (much like my 6700K or 6700HQ experiences).

It's hard to get before and after temps because the fan is off until about 85-90c.. But the repaste does allow the machine to operate fanless for LONGER.. So then you have to measure the temps after the fan does turn on.. I added the pictures above to my original post.

4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And now i'm working on undervolting.. This doesn't undervolt as well as all my other machines in the past.. Seems like -60 to maybe -80 is stable so far on both core and cache.

pressing likes this.
  5. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I found the thread and enabled Speed Shift in Throttlestop.. Thanks man! It seems to keep the idle more controlled now.. The CPU is no longer jumping all over the place.. This should help keep temperatures down a bit.

6. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Undervolting -80/-80 didn't seem to help as much as I expected.. It did seem to lower peak temps before fan comes on by about 3c.. but after the fan turns on the temps are roughly still 71-72c under the Throttlestop 1024m test.

Prime95 eventually throttles the cpu down to 2.8ghz and temps remain in the low 80s.

7. chrisholland03

chrisholland03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I haven't been on a page one of an owner's thread yet - this seems like a good place to start.

My XPS 13 Kaby came in on Monday. I got the touchscreen with i5 and the 256GB storage. I think this is the best laptop bargain out there.

I've been pleased so far, though the trackpad has been wonky the first few days. I had the same experience with my Skylake - it got better over time as the trackpad becomes slicker (and less starchy feeling) with finger oils and whatnot. For now, a dab of lotion on my fingertips seems to do the trick.

mujjuman and pressing like this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Diversion, a lot of people have speculated that Kaby Lake chips generally will not have much room for undervolting. Time will tell.

Forum user EASON put a nice undervolting primer together that will be a good place to start for people interested in trying to improve performance of their laptops.

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10167-laptop-undervolting-overcloking/

ThrottleStop is free and easy to use. There is a guide and very active forum here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

Diversion and Kikuri like this.
  9. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep.. I've had my hands on undervolting the new Kaby m5, Kaby i7-7500U, and now this Kaby i5-7200U and all don't undervolt as much as Skylake... But that's okay and it makes sense why they don't undervolt as well.. It's likely because they are tightly tuned CPUs and binned specifically for their clockspeeds. I am so far seemingly 100% stable with all benchmarks so far at -80/-80 and even -50 on the iGPU.

So far, a repaste isn't mandatory but expect great results.. Add in the undervolt and expect far better idle temps and less jumpy temperatures in average usage.

We have to realize that Kaby is achieving more clockspeed at the same voltage over Skylake therefore undervolting a lot isn't going to happen. I'll take the extra clockspeed over Skylake any day of the week! The i5-7200U beats the previous i7-6500U so that's a nice perk.. And i'd likely recommend the i5 Kaby over getting the i7.. The i7-7500U I played with was in the newest HP Spectre x360 and it ran entirely too hot.. It throttled without undervolt.

10. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am actually thinking about returning my non-touchbar Macbook Pro 13" 2016 for the 1080p XPS 13 Kabylake model. My main fear was quality issues - but otherwise, it would probably be more useful for me (Windows Developer). I know I can run Parallels on the MacBook but meh. I only ended up with the MacBook as I had a Apple Iphone/Apple Watch, but realistically, i would have probably been better off with the XPS 13.

I'd end up saving around £400 doing so.

Diversion likes this.